Wilton Spray Mist

Decorating By sxyfemm Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 6:04pm by Tita9499

sxyfemm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sxyfemm Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 11

I have been asked to do a two tone red /yellow cake for a bob marley inspired bday cake . As of right now my new airbrush machine is still in transit. I was told I could use the wilton Spray mist to achieve a look similar to airbrushing. Does anyone have any tips regarding this product .I am a new cake designer and I do not want to mess up this cake.
thanks for any and all help
xoxoxo

10 replies
THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:46am
post #2 of 11

wiltons spray is really good for buttercream cakes but not so good for fondant. if you do need to use it for fondant only spray a thin layer wait for it to dry then sray another until you reach the color you need

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 11

I haven't had good experience with Color Mist. It's hard to control the level of spray you get. If I press to lightly, I get nothing. Press harder, I get blotches. And I found that even though it's supposed to be tasteless, it adds a slight minty taste to buttercream.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:00am
post #4 of 11

I personally do not like the Wilton spray, especially RED. Sorry! First off when you spray it (red) is comes out like orange, and then to try and achieve the red color, it gets weird and runny. I have used it on buttercream, never fondant. My only suggestion to you is to maybe avoid the spraying and either make your icing those colors, or color your fondant. They also have a weird smell/taste too. I tried using it in the past, and I pretty much threw it right in the garbage, along with what I was attempting to spray. Just trying to save your sanity. Hope this helps, and good luck!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:11am
post #5 of 11

Could you try to do a marbling with the fondant to get your two tones? That might kind of count like a tie died look, which would fit with Marly icon_lol.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:33am
post #6 of 11

I use the wilton mist only once (orange) and I like it, for me it work pretty good. icon_smile.gif

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:46am
post #7 of 11

I used them a few times when I lived overseas. Never had the red come out orange, used it on a red and blue Spiderman cake and no one there thought it was orange either. The only one I noticed having a taste to it was the green, you could even smell the mint in it when spraying. I even did a yellow/red cake with them once. All I did was hold a sheet of paper over the part I didn't want colored and it worked fine. The only time I ever got blotches was if I sprayed too close.

I do recommend spraying outside though if at all possible, and wearing a mask. Because of the distance needed to avoid the blotches you'll have a lot of overspray and without a mask that will all go right in your nose and you'll be blowing red snot for days!

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:00am
post #8 of 11

I have used all of them, except green. They all worked well for except the black, couldn't get it black just dark gray.

HTH

sxyfemm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sxyfemm Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 11

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP
I TRIED IT LAST NIGHT AND IT SEEMED TO WORK PRETTY WELL ON THE FONDANT HOPEFULLY IT LOOKS THE SAME TONIGHT WHEN I HAVE TO DELIVER IT!
tapedshut.gif
THE RED WASNT AS DARK AS I WOULD HAVE LIKED IT TO BE BUT IT WORKED OUT WELL I WILL BE POSTING PICTURES SOON

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 11

I've used it for a spiderman cake as well, but never on fondant. I've noticed that it has a tendancy to "bubble up" when sprayed (even at a distance). It worked just as I expected for how much I paid for it. You're better off investing in an airbrush machine though, that way you can go as far as your imagination can take you (on buttercream or fondant or even your husband- LOL!)

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 11

Sorry, didn't read the part about the airbrush machine in transit. I would go with the tye-dyeing/marbeling effect of the fondant like bizatchgirl suggested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%