Which Is Better For A Newbie?

Decorating By scrapperjade Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm by scrapperjade

scrapperjade Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 7

I need help! I volunteered to decorate a cake to look like a book for a friends get-together thats on Saturday. Now that its getting close to the date of and I have a few questions... any help is appreciated:

1) I want to bake the cakes tomorrow and freeze them to make it easier to ice. So do I wrap them in something first? And do I crumb coat before freezing?

2) Whats easier? MMF or doing the paper towel smoothing on buttercream? I want it smooth because its a book...

3) If I decide to make MMF, can I make it say today or tomorrow and it will still be ready to go on Friday night?

4) If I decorate Friday evening, can I leave a MMF covered cake out in the open without it cracking, or do I have to put it in the fridge?? I really have no fridge room for a huge slab cake.

HELP!!! Thanks in advance!

6 replies
mellormom Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 7

MMF can be made months in advance or the day before. Everyone is different so you are going to get different answers to the buttercream vs MMF debate. I personally prefere fondant because I can't seem to get butter cream that smooth.
Remember when you make MMF to wrap it well! Wrap it at least two times and then stick it in a ziplock bag.
Do not put MMF in the Fridge. It can stay out till you need to take it. If you can thought you should put it in a box so it doesn't dry out on you.
When I bake my cakes I freeze them with saran wrap around them and a layer of foil over the saran wrap. I don't not put the crumb coat on until I'm ready to do the cake.
Jen...

scrapperjade Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:53am
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much for your reply Jen!!

ladyonzlake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:06am
post #4 of 7

1) I want to bake the cakes tomorrow and freeze them to make it easier to ice. So do I wrap them in something first? And do I crumb coat before freezing?

I wrap my cakes in Saran Wrap and freeze without frosting.

2) Whats easier? MMF or doing the paper towel smoothing on buttercream? I want it smooth because its a book...

My preference is to smooth is with a spatula. I use IMBC so it doesn't crust and paper towel method would not work. I have a couple of "book" cakes in my photos and on my website.

3) If I decide to make MMF, can I make it say today or tomorrow and it will still be ready to go on Friday night?

Yes

4) If I decorate Friday evening, can I leave a MMF covered cake out in the open without it cracking, or do I have to put it in the fridge?? I really have no fridge room for a huge slab cake.

I use Satinice so I'm not an expert with MMF but I would think it would be fine.

bashini Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 9:27am
post #5 of 7

Hi, you can bake the cake and freeze it without the crumbcoat, no problem. I first cover the cakes with saran wrap and then foil and I put it in a freezer bag too.

You can make the MMF well in advance and it's ok to do the decorations on friday and leave it out side. I have done it. No problem!

HTH. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:22am
post #6 of 7

,,,,,,,,freeze them to make it easier to ice......

I agree w/the others. But this one statement bothers me. The cake needs to thaw before icing it. It can be cold but not fzn.

scrapperjade Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

,,,,,,,,freeze them to make it easier to ice......

I agree w/the others. But this one statement bothers me. The cake needs to thaw before icing it. It can be cold but not fzn.

Thanks for mentioning that! I was wondering that too, lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%