Question On Indydebi's Buttercream Recipe

Baking By dcb157 Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 6:57pm by Cakes1985

dcb157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcb157 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 10

I want to try Indydebi's buttercream recipe (the one with dream whip). I'm used to making icing with butter and crisco. Has anyone substituted some of the Crisco in Indydebi's recipe with butter?

9 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 10

I have and it works great.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 10

I also have a question about this icing. Since there is milk in it, does it have to be refrigerated? Can it be out through an outdoor summer event?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

I also have a question about this icing. Since there is milk in it, does it have to be refrigerated? Can it be out through an outdoor summer event?

The "Claim to Fame" story on this icing is how it was on a cake that was set up at 2:00 in the afternoon outside in a tent, in 90-plus degree heat, in Indiana humidity (thunderstorm was on it's way ... and Indiana humidity will make you walk all bent over, it's so heavy!). The cake wasn't cut until 7:00 p.m. ..... and it NEVER melted.

I've never had a melt down with this icing. In 30 years, that's quite a record. thumbs_up.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 10

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening all the time. Also the butter flavored Crisco works wonderfully too.

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #6 of 10

I have a question...does anyone else not like the taste of crisco? I started out using the walmart brand and LOVED my buttercream and anything else used with it. I read around here stating to use quality ingredients and havent liked it at all. Ive made two batches of bc and tasted soo chemical. I also made a batch of cookie bars that uses shortening and usually scarf the dough so much that theres about a half a pan left...not this time. (Although thats probably not a bad thing!) I just do not care for the flavor. Anyone else have this problem? And do you have to use crisco for this recipe of indydebi? Thanks!!

~Roxanne

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #7 of 10

crisco is all I ever use. When I first got started, decades and decades ago, I used a store brand shortening and made about 100 roses for a wedding cake. The dang roses wouldn't hold their shape and kept falling off of the cake! I never used an off brand again and have used crisco-only ever since.

Just a personal preference.

I say give it a shot with your favorite alternative and see what happens! thumbs_up.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 10

It depends on what I am using it for is usually my general answer.

When I make MMF I like using the local grocery store brand of marshmallows and PS. I HATE the walmart brand of PS, its always has hard lumps of sugar. I dont like the Jet Puffs marshmallows, because they use more of that anti-caking stuff, which is great if you are just eating them out of the bag, but not so great when you are trying to melt them down.

I use off brand shortening for MMF, but when I put shortening in cakes or cookies I usually use Crisco, and usually the butter-flavored kind, since I can get it at the same price.

Cakes1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes1985 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 10

I just made a double batch of Indydebi's buttercream and its soo gritty I want to throw it out. Any suggestions? Is this the way it normally is? This is my first time making it so I don't really know what it is supposed to be like.

Cakes1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes1985 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 10

NM! I should have just stayed in bed this morning. I doubled the amount of Crisco but quadrupled the amount of icing sugar, ugggh. Can't believe I just did that. I will add some more Crisco and it should straighten it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%