What Goes Under The Cake??

Decorating By SaraClassic Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 3:48pm by kakeladi

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:51am
post #1 of 7

Totally stupid question but I feel like Im missing something here...
So I want to stack 2 tiers lets say a 6 in on a 8 in.....so I put a little bc on cake board covered in "foil" and sit 8 in on top... then dowel for safe transport and sit 6 in on what... right on top, no then that cant be cut well. Do I just put it on a cardboard round, thats fine but my big question here is "Do I just sit that cardboard on top of the 8 in? Wouldnt the BC or fondant stick and be gross pulling apart? Do I have touse a plastic plate everytime on even a 2 tier?" Thanks for reading all this, I feel dumb for not figuring this out.

6 replies
didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:33am
post #2 of 7

I personally cut a piece of parchment paper to the size of the cake round and put that in between the cake and the board. But it will be interesting to see if there are any other ideas out there.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:40am
post #3 of 7

I usually wait until the bc has crusted, then sprinkle with plain icing sugar, than put on top...

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:44am
post #4 of 7

We have only just ever used the cake board on top of the bottom cake. That's what they had taught us to do in the Wilton class. However, I really like that parchment idea (or perhaps waxed paper).

Just remember that whatever you do, you can hide the openings by piping decorations around the edging.

Paul (& Peter)

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 7

Hi, the 6" cak should be on a thin board. And that has to go on the 8" cake. If its buttercream iced cake, sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar or I have heard some using shreded coconuts. I haven't tried though. And if its a fondant covered cake, use a bit of royal icing. That what I use.

HTH.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much everyone. I guess Im not too far off then. I just thought there was a hidden step I was missing! I think I'll try the parchment and sugar both, I just thought cardboard on cake, eww.
Thanks again!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 7

.......like that parchment idea (or perhaps waxed paper).
.......sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar or I have heard some using shreded coconuts........

Please, PLEASE! Don't use wax paper! The one & only time I did the two tiers slid aparticon_sad.gif I hadn't center dowels it as it was the bottom two tiers of a 4 tier wedding cake.

As for coconut......many people (like me) are alligeric to coconut & nuts (another thing some use).
Some use graham cracker crumbs .... actually any fine crumbs will work ie: cornflakes; vanilla wafers etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%