High-Ratio Shortening

Decorating By dmich Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 11:49pm by superstar

dmich Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:42am
post #1 of 4

I've been seeing lots of references to high-ratio shortening. Could someone please tell me what the difference is compared to regular shortening and what the benefits are to using the high-ration kind? Also, where do you buy it?

Thanks!

3 replies
panchanewjersey Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:55am
post #2 of 4

There are alot of threads on this you should look up. I haven't used it myself but from what I've heard it's actually alot better than the regular stuff. It doesn't have an aftertaste or you don't have that greasy taste in your mouth. When it comes to making icing it's supposed to be smoother.
But it also costs more than the other stuff, you can find it at cake decorating shops or some bakeries might even carry it and sell it. There's a brand called Sweetex I guess thta's what you might be looking for. Hopes this info help. Sugarshack highly recommends it and uses it too in her bc recipe.

Mike1394 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:47am
post #3 of 4

HR has more emulsifiers than regular shortening. This means you are able to add more liquid to it. You'll still have the same mouthfeel as regular.

Mike

superstar Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 4

I used Sweetex for the first time on my Thanksgiving cake (Sugarshacks recipe) it is really good & there is a tremendous difference, I really like it, it is not greasy. The BC had a wonderful taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%