Curious George

Decorating By cakes21 Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 2:36am by cakes21

cakes21 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 13

I need help with doing a Curious George cake for a friend. The picture I have to go off of os from another web site and the lady never got back with me on how to do it. Plus the smash cake is the shape of a banana. So my question i guess is what size of a round cake do I do to fee 25 people and how would i do the shape of a banana?

12 replies
nefgaby Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:21am
post #2 of 13

If you post a link to the picture I'm sure we can figure it out! icon_smile.gif I did a small Curious George cake for a friend as well, only 15 servs, very simple, is in my photos if you would like to see it.

A cake to feed 25 is either a 9" round, serves 22 or a 10" round, serves 30. Or if you want to make a square cake, make a 8" cake that serves 24.

To make a banana shaped cake, you can carve it. I would bake a small square cake, cut in half, torte, place on half on top of the other, then put on freezer for about 30 mins, makes it easier to carve. Then with a sharp knife start carving and voila! You can make a paper template if you'd like, makes it easier sometimes. Before crumcoating I would place in freezer again, so it is easier to work with.

HTH and good luck! icon_smile.gif

cakes21 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:25am
post #3 of 13

I will see if I can figure out how to add a picture to my post.

cakes21 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:38am
post #4 of 13

Ok let's see if it works.
LL

nefgaby Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:01am
post #5 of 13

OK, to me that looks like a 12" round cake and a half ball pan on top. First ice the whole thing with yellow BC, add the half ball and ice in a tan BC. With the star tip do a the "fur" leaving the eye area uncovered (you can use a template for that, to be more precise). Pipe the eyes with brown BC, again, you can use a template. The ears look like Nilla Waffers to me.

For the banana cake, I would do as I explained before. Pipe and then brush over the brown lines for a more realistic look.

I hope this helps, let me know. icon_smile.gif

cakes21 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 13

So how would i use a template? Is it like the top of a heart for the area of his eyes? Also, the lady wrote that she uded two different types of canned frosting for the brown. So my question is, how do i make my chocolate frosting darker to match the fur?

sarahpierce Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 13

Actually, George is light brown with a tan face (my 2 year old is obsessed). Try googling Curious George so you can match the colors better. Your refrence picture looks more like a regular jungle monkey. Nefgabay's cake is really cute. More cartooney. I would do a little more research first. HTH. icon_smile.gif

Make sure to post pictures when you're done!

sarahpierce Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 13

Actually, George is light brown with a tan face (my 2 year old is obsessed). Try googling Curious George so you can match the colors better. Your refrence picture looks more like a regular jungle monkey. Nefgabay's cake is really cute. More cartooney. I would do a little more research first. HTH. icon_smile.gif

Make sure to post pictures when you're done!

nefgaby Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 13

Yep, cut a heart-shaped template and place it on top of the cake before doing the start tip "fur", so you know were to do the fur and don't go over the face/eye area.

For the brown icing, use chocolate BC, don't use the canned stuff, it is too soft. Make the chocolate buttercream dream, you can find it on the recipe section here on CC.

And, thanks Shara for the nice compliments on my cake icon_smile.gif

KrissieCakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 13

nefgaby - Yesterday I put quite a few of your cakes in my favorites! You have some awesome cakes! I wish I would have seen your Curious George before I did mine! After seeing your cakes yesterday I want to bake and play just for fun. icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:03am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

nefgaby - Yesterday I put quite a few of your cakes in my favorites! You have some awesome cakes! I wish I would have seen your Curious George before I did mine! After seeing your cakes yesterday I want to bake and play just for fun. icon_smile.gif

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif You are too sweet!!!!!!! Have fun playing ...

SILVERCAT Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:39am
post #12 of 13

Here is a nice tutorial for a monkey but I am sure with some changes you can turn it into curious george!
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Monkey_see.html

cakes21 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:36am
post #13 of 13

Ok thanks for all of your help. Hopefully I can do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%