Ideas On How To Make Netting

Decorating By lsienna Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 9:30pm by Tee-Y

lsienna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsienna Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:19am
post #1 of 7

Hello,

I have recently had a cake and another one coming up where it is necessary to have some sort of netting made. The last cake was a New Balance sneaker cake and they have lots of netting type of material over a solid material of a similar color underneath.
Also, I have golf bag I am going to be doing and that also has a little bit of netting on the sides.

The only way I can think of is to use some actual netting as a template and airbrush the shadow areas of the holes. I have no idea how one would make actual netting using fondant or gumpaste and have it hold up without tearing.

Any thoughts on this one??

Thank you,

Lsienna

6 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:56am
post #2 of 7

How about trying Sugarveil. I haven't used this product but saw it being used on Amazing Wedding cakes.

Here's a link with some pics of what I think your looking for:

http://www.sugarveil.com/gallery/decoredibles.htm

Alternately you could try this recipe and see if it would work for you (this is also something I have yet to try so I am not speaking from experience icon_wink.gif )

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7283-0-Gummy-Spider-Webs-with-marshmallows.html

HTH

I'm sure someone else will come along and provide some more ideas for you... icon_smile.gif

Good Luck!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:06am
post #3 of 7

I guess if you have the time you can probably make it but you can also buy it. I once saw it on Food Network, pretty neat how they do it. You can probably look it up and on FN and see how they made it. The episode was with Giulliana ? on the Las Vegas Dessert Convention.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 7

I would do the airvbrushing - simple and impressive.

lsienna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsienna Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 7

Wow! Thank you for the info on the sugarveil process. I have seen something similar on Amazing Cakes but had no idea how they did it.
What an amazing thing!

I would love to check it out and try it! Thanks for the advice-it is most appreciated!

Lsienna

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 7

Love Sugarveil!! it does take a little bit of work to get the consistency right, but the stuff is AMAZING!! I have it and use it a good bit! You do not need the airpen - just get the "starter kit" - the DVD is wonderful and full of info on how to use and different things that you can do with it!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 7

Unbreakable gel(UG) is another product that you can try out, just google it and you can get the info on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%