Characters Made From Mmf

Decorating By cakemomma200811 Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 10:57pm by panchanewjersey

cakemomma200811 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomma200811 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to try to make pigs and cows out of MMF for the first time. I was wndeing if anyone else has tried this and if you have any tips. I started to work on it a little last night and it seemed to gooey. Will it dry hard like regular fondant? Thanks in advance for any help!

3 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 4

I've made figures in the past using MMF, and yes it will dry hard, but it will take it a little while. It sounds like your mmf is pretty soft, so you might want to make the legs and body and let them set awhile before putting them together or the legs will squish down under the weight of the body. I made a farm cake awhile back, and I'm pretty sure I used mmf for those figures. I know for sure I used mmf to make Santa and a reindeer. The first reindeer I made I put together right away while everything was still pretty soft and it ended up looking more like a rhino!! lol.

You can add a little tylose powder to your mmf, if you have it. That should help to make it more firm and workable.

Good luck and have fun.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 4

ditto everything Price said!!
Check out my photos, just made both pigs and cows!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 4

To be honest with you I like mmf over gumpaste for characters. I made the Abby Cadabby out of mmf the whole thing and Mario too, then one day I decided to use gumpaste for a little girl, bad choice I hated myself later but it was too late, it started to crack and look real ugly. That was my experience. I used Wilton gumpaste by the way. Sorry couldn't add attachment but you can see the difference in my pictures. If your mmf is too sticky try adding a little crisco in between you hands while working with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%