50% Fondant & 50% Gumpaste- What Does This Mean?

Decorating By jcaste Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 6:37am by xstitcher

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

This might sound like a silly question but I have seen this many times. What exactly do you all mean by 50% fondant & 50% gumpaste? Do you just combine both together or is there any other steps to this method? Hope someone can get back to me ASAP. I will be making a cake & wanted to use this for some accents on my cake.

5 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 6

I just mix about the same amounts of fondant and gumpaste together. It gives me more working time.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 6

You have to use same ammounts of gumpaste and fondant. If you are using 50g fondant you have to use 50g gumpaste too. icon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:52am
post #4 of 6

exactly what everyone else said, equal parts of each, nothing else. The benefit is that it dries hard but not quite as quick as straight gumpaste.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:26am
post #5 of 6

I know that when you are making delicate flower, gumpaste is often best b/c you can roll it really thin. However, when making figures, would you guys use 50/50 gumpaste/fondant, straight fondant, or straight gumpaste?

Thanks

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:37am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmich

I know that when you are making delicate flower, gumpaste is often best b/c you can roll it really thin. However, when making figures, would you guys use 50/50 gumpaste/fondant, straight fondant, or straight gumpaste?

Thanks

I've only done this once (you can see the pic in my photos if you like) and I used 50/50. If you use just gumpaste you won't have as much time to play with it before it dries. Some people do use straight fondant but it does take longer to dry and some have said that there figures have sagged when they use it straight. It might help to let the pieces dry first before you attach if your using fondant only.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%