Smooshy Fondant On Cupcakes...why?!?!? Help!!

Decorating By SGioimo Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 5:36pm by MacsMom

SGioimo Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 5

So I have been having a major problem with my fondant when I make cupcakes frosted in buttercream!! I have made a batch of cupcakes for a bridal shower and another for a first birthday and both times I have added fondant accents on top. After about 8 hours my little fondant figures will get really soft and melty...almost to the point of where they are gross. Why are they doing this? It doesn't happen when I put fondant accents on my buttercream cakes, so does anyone have any advice?

4 replies
FullHouse Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 5

Which fondant are you using? I find it difficult to do sculpting with MMF and use the Wilton (not tasty, but it does hold up well) for anything 3D. If you put it in the fridge, that could be the problem. I've made cupcakes with fondant figures on them, I just make all the figures ahead of time, then add them to the cupcakes the day of delivery and leave them in the box on the counter.

tracycakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 5

Are you covering the cupcakes in something airtight? I found that cupcakes with fondant accents got mushy when I kept them covered.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 5

Oh yeah well I put a fondant flower with two fondant leaves on my pumpkin pie I made for Thanksgiving, covered it, and put it in the 'fridge - don't ever do that! I guess the fact that it was covered AND put in the 'fridge equals one liquidy, melted mess on top of my pie! Good thing I made several pies, and good thing they were very tiny! So if you did either of those, I would recommend not doing that anymore!

MacsMom Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

Anything with a high liquid content will melt fondant. Bettercreme is a no-no and especailly pumpkin pie. I don't know why buttercream would ever cause a problem, though - that's all I use on my fondant covered cakes and I put them in the fridge with no problem (once the condensation dries). Unless the accents are directly touching the cake somewhere...?

Quote by @%username% on %date%