Do You Have A Theme On Your Tree Or Not Really?

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 11:48pm by lanibird

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:42pm
post #31 of 60

Last year my tree colour scheme was silver and blue. This year it is *drum roll* black and gold! I'm addicted to having a clean, uncluttered tree that has a specific colour theme (wrapping paper is complementary -- except for what Santa wraps, since Santa is probably too busy to worry about mommy's colour theme). And I love a different colour theme each year! My basement shelves are full of purples, blues, greens, copper ornaments (and more colours!) I even went out super early to Canadian Tire this year to get some black ornaments because I was afraid they'd sell quickly!

We haven't had any handmade ornaments yet, with my son being only 2 now, but when we do get them, I have a ribbon that I hang on the wall that I'll hang the ornaments on. (That way my simple tree stays simple, but we still have all the ornaments on display that will mean so much to us).

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:45pm
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingzero

We haven't had any handmade ornaments yet, with my son being only 2 now, but when we do get them, I have a ribbon that I hang on the wall that I'll hang the ornaments on. (That way my simple tree stays simple, but we still have all the ornaments on display that will mean so much to us).

That's a fantastic idea! Especially for those homemade ones from school that are huge! What a perfect way to display your memories and still be able to have the tree how you want.... thumbs_up.gif

CakeChica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChica Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:50pm
post #33 of 60

The first couple of years I did a tree in Purple and Gold. They go so well together, plus this also gave me some time to collect some Coca Cola christmas tree ornaments. I collect Coca Cola and one year I said I will have a Coca Cola Christmas tree someday. This will be the year I do that. icon_smile.gif So it will be done in Red and Silver with the Coca Cola ornaments I have been collecting for years. Of course with matching wrapping paper too.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #34 of 60

I originally did gold and white this year, but...

My brother (in the Navy) and his daughters will be visiting for the first time in over four years. On the phone over the weekend, his oldest daughter (13 yr old) asked me "You're not gonna have one of those all one color trees are you? That would suck!" So I'll probably change it before they get here!

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm
post #35 of 60

I have decades worth of ornaments, but mostly they are divided into two groups - earthly and heavenly! So the toys, Santas, snowmen, and all the secular stuff starts at the bottom, and by the time I'm halfway up, I begin with the crosses and angels. It sounds strange, but they all blend together! And they go on my parlor tree. In the kitchen area is a much smaller tree with gingerbread men. That's where the grandkids' gingerbread house is parked until they pick it up on Saturday!
LL

Michelle104 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 1:47am
post #36 of 60

I was looking at ornaments at Ben Franklin tonight and uggghhhhh!!!!! I can't wait to do several themed trees...makes me root for the move!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Gingerbread...such cute ones to choose from! For those of you with the gingerbread theme, do you put all kinds of baking stuff with it or just gingerbread things?

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:07am
post #37 of 60

We have 5 trees, the kitchen has a tree that look like an old lady decorated with kitchen utensiles. My living room is decorated with all disney from hallmark. My daughter's tree in her room is barbie and her bathroom has a small one with the minature disney ornaments. The upstairs is also done in disney the storybook collections. I 've got to get one for my son's room.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:30am
post #38 of 60

I have two trees. The main one is in the living room and is very country looking with ornaments collected through the years and one for every year my husband and I have been married.

The other tree is my ice skating tree. It is done in white lights, white beads and all the ornaments are ice skates or people or animals ice skating. I used to ice skate about 20 hours a week and although it's been a long time since I have skated, I love ice skating and all that stuff.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:47am
post #39 of 60

My theme this year is - nothing breakable or sentimental! We have a 7 month old kitten this year. If he keeps with his normal behavior patterns, he should be climbing up our tree within a matter of days. Now, its a fake tree, so this should be lots of fun to watch!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:56am
post #40 of 60

Oh my, I almost forgot to share. I went to the gift shop in Christmas, Florida today! I was on my way home from Orlando, and drove past it. I'd never been in there. If you are not from here, but visit Orlando, you have to go there! There is such great stuff in that shop, not just Christmas stuff, but so much I don't know where to begin.
Just wanted to share that info with everyone.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:23am
post #41 of 60

No theme here. The closest we come to that is that I buy my oldest a snowman ornament and my youngest a Santa. I buy other ornaments every year too, just a few at a time because I like everything to be different.

Michelle104 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:27am
post #42 of 60

icon_cry.gif Ok! I know we're making memories for our kids right? But when the oldest said "Mom, we always get to do what we want on the tree. This year we want you to decorate it and do it how YOU want to..." I was sooo excited. Well...I caved and let them do it how they wanted to. Without any guidance from me as to where to put what ornament or anything. I can't wait until I can decorate my own my way! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:03am
post #43 of 60

The year that DH and I got married, Hallmark started a Puppy Love series...we get one every year. And I get other ones that appeal to us--mostly dog-theme. It's a big collection of Hallmark, some hand-made ornaments, red/green/gold glass ornaments and some older decorations from our past.

Alan and I started a Christmas tradition with all the kids in our family...each year we give them an ornament that reflects them, their hobbies, likes. That way when they move out on their own or get married, they have a set of Christmas ornaments.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:49pm
post #44 of 60

My main tree is different shades of pink and pretty much victorian style ornaments. My other tree in the dining room is all gold. However, I am really into old and rusty things and I would love to do one with old ornaments on it, maybe someday, it takes a while to collect all those things!

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:21pm
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingzero

I'm 42 and my dad still has the ornaments I made in Kindergarten...still hangs them on the tree too. I love opening the "tree box" and looking at all of the ornaments from different years....the year we were married, the years the kids were born, some of the kids things (K and 3rd grade just yet) and then some from when I and even my mother were young. Each one has a memory and each one is precious. My husband and I have a tradition of buying a new ornament each year. I love to fill in the spaces with different colored balls and angels...then just to "lace" things up a bit (because I hate glitzy garlands) I put bits of dried flowers, like babies breath, in between the branches, gives it a snow-like effect.
Our topper is the topper from our wedding cake. I found an angel that was a bell so it sit nicely on the cake, and there is a place to put it on the tree-top.

As for the ribbon idea....it's a good one, only I use it for my christmas cards. this way I can display all of the beautiful cards that come in without having then lined up all along entryways and windows.

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 8:49pm
post #46 of 60

I like for the main tree at home to be the traditional ornaments that i grew up with. But I put up small trees, one in my bedroom which is silver and lilac to match the room, and I always change my office tree every year. This year it is hot pink, red and purple, a "diva" tree. Little shoes, purses, lipsticks, perfume, dresses, jems, lots of hot pink maribou/feathers and fuscia glitter. icon_razz.gif

Michelle104 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:29pm
post #47 of 60

Lisa! That hot pink tree sounds so cute!!! My girls would love that! icon_lol.gif

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:48pm
post #48 of 60

I really don't have a theme other than a color theme...burgandy and gold. Growing up my mom always had a wooden toy theme on our tree, sorta like the old fashioned wooden toys. Now she does a snowman tree each year.

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:01pm
post #49 of 60

I have a Gingerbread man themed tree! I've done it for about 3 years now and I still love it. I also decorate all over my house with Gingerbread/cookie decor. On my tree I have Gingerbread men ornaments and then I also took cookie cutters and tied them with raffia to hang on the tree! I have a Gingerbread tree topper as well as a GB tree skirt!

Michelle104 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:52pm
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat

I have a Gingerbread man themed tree! I've done it for about 3 years now and I still love it. I also decorate all over my house with Gingerbread/cookie decor. On my tree I have Gingerbread men ornaments and then I also took cookie cutters and tied them with raffia to hang on the tree! I have a Gingerbread tree topper as well as a GB tree skirt!

That sounds so cute! What's your topper look like? I don't remember ever seeing a gingerbread tree topper! icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:41pm
post #51 of 60

Agh, tree?

Kids are grown, only have grandcats, *way low thyroid.

But I have 3 or 4 ceramic ones I keep around all year* so I'm not a complete grinch or anything. Hey I bought wrapping paper this year.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 10:12pm
post #52 of 60

I have 2 full size trees They are both full of ornaments the kids made ( they are all grown now ) But they expect to see them on the tree every yr and make a point of looking for them. They also still use the same stocking they first had !
My trees also get strings of popcorn ( if theres time ) and homemade cookies or what ever new idea we have that yr as far as home made. I like old antique and country style items I have even wrapped all my gifts in brown paper bags( tied with twine for ribbon & bows ) that we decorated with drawings. stampers etc ! Oh and I always add candy canes to ! I also have 3 more table top trees and a full size 7ft santa like the kind you see in a store display! I love Christmas!!! We also decorate the outside. people come over and say its like walking through a store, because we have so many decorations ! I buy at least 1 new item every yr !

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 9:17pm
post #53 of 60

This year we have 3 trees. One has all the handmade ornaments, another full of red and gold sparkling things, and the third is my husband's redneck tree... (Beer cans, gilded pretzels, and a Santa underneath who is being attacked by a hound dog, while singing 'Who Let the Dogs out')
...facepalm...

erc11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erc11 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:02pm
post #54 of 60

I want a hot pink tree!!

Ours is ivory, gold & silver. But I keep seeing all these chocolate brown and turquoise ornaments and I want to switch. Dh would have a fit if I spent all that $ on ornaments though.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:05am
post #55 of 60
Quote:
Quote:

Dh would have a fit if I spent all that $ on ornaments though

I buy most of my ornaments the week after Christmas for up to 90%off!!! DH doesn't have a thing to complain about. icon_biggrin.gif

Our main tree is gold, silver & cream with some touches of red. I also collect crystal or sterling silver heirloom quality ornaments, one per year. These I hang on a small feather tree which sits on the coffee table of our great room.

In the past years I also did a smaller tree for the boys. That was a multicolored angels and toy-themed tree, predominantly blue and red. This year, after I had put up the main tree, the boys asked if we would put up their tree too. I said I still felt so tired from clearing out our boxes and organizing the house that I didn't think I could handle it this year (we have just moved to a new country). They surprised me with loud cheers and hurrahs! Apparently they didn't enjoy putting up their tree as much as I had thought. One tree for us this year. icon_cool.gifthumbs_up.gif

ceani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceani Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:50am
post #56 of 60

I've decorate my moms tree every year since I was 10 (my mom lets me do whatever theme as long as I dont burn the house) this year Ive decorated with pink roses and ivory ones along with gold ribbons and placed some random stuff with roses in the house. We also have Christmas lights outside. And in my house I have a small probably 1 foot tree that came decorated and with lights since i don't have any kids and we usually don't spend the holidays at home I go all out at my moms. The whole family gets together there so my work of art is displayed there.

Michelle104 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:52pm
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Quote:

They surprised me with loud cheers and hurrahs! Apparently they didn't enjoy putting up their tree as much as I had thought. One tree for us this year. icon_cool.gifthumbs_up.gif

This is soooo crackin me up!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:31pm
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Quote:
Quote:

They surprised me with loud cheers and hurrahs! Apparently they didn't enjoy putting up their tree as much as I had thought. One tree for us this year. icon_cool.gifthumbs_up.gif

Boys after my own heart.

Not a low thyroid epidemic I hope??

Michelle104 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:58pm
post #59 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Quote:
Quote:

Boys after my own heart.

Not a low thyroid epidemic I hope??

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Stop it! I can't breathe!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:48pm
post #60 of 60

Our tree is currently decorated in the "Our 2 & 4 year old DD's keep grabbing the ornaments, and have already broken 3 this year" theme; the bottom 3 feet of the tree are pretty much bare with the exception of the lights, some garland, and a few plastic ornaments, the top 3 feet is a mad cluster of all the others ones. It's pretty sad lookin' really. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%