Do You Have A Theme On Your Tree Or Not Really?

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 11:48pm by lanibird

Michelle104 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 60

I've LOVE old fashioned things and my house sort of reflects that....I've always wanted a theme on my tree but I just let our girls do the decorating. This year though we talked about it and I'm doing the tree how I would like it. icon_biggrin.gif I'm so excited! White lights, cookie cutters with scraps of fabric as hangers on them. I have red berries and some rafia bows, extra scraps of ribbon tied here and there, and a gold star made out of sticks tied together with some glitter on it. Just sort of old fashioned....What do you guys have on your tree?

59 replies
brannendeville Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 60

I do blue and silver with snowmen. I love it, we just look around every year for new snowmen or snowflakes!

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 60

I love themed trees! I have been on a gingerbread theme for the last few years, and everything is about the gingerbread in my house... the whole tree included. And, of course, gingerbread houses and the smell of gingerbread baking... home sweet home....... icon_biggrin.gif

KrissieCakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 60

I have 4 trees!!! I have one in my kitchen that is tall and skinny. It is covered in cooking and food related ornaments - cookie cutters, glass cupcakes, a kitchen aid type mixer, a fridge, oven, etc. I wrap it in ribbon that matches my Christmas dishes exactly! Our family room tree is the only one without a theme - it's all family ornaments from when I was born up to now. We get an ornament every new place we visit, so it's fun unwrapping them and remembering our trips together. Oh yeah - and we get a new one for each kid each year representing something they were really into that year. Like last year my son was into trains so he got a teddy bear holding a toy train. I LOVE CHRISTMAS!! icon_smile.gif

Sunflower08 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 60

I do my whole tree in Snowmen and Angels... I pick up different ornaments each year at craft shows so all of them are handmade.. icon_smile.gif

colabear71 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 60

I also do blue with silver. I use solid white lites, about 1000 on an 8 foot tree, then I have blue and silver garland with snowflakes that I wrap around. I then have all my decorations, including balls, icicles, snowflakes, snowmen and even a few santas dressed in blue. It all ties in with the blue and white tree skirt and christmas stocking. I add a few new items each year too.

juleskaye518 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 60

Ours doesn't have a theme. Eclectic is our way. When we were first married we didn't have much money, (who does?) so we went to kmart and got about $20 in ornaments. Then as we have moved around, had a baby, etc... we have added on. Now, like Krissie says, when we open up the ornament box we can truly reflect on what each one means. A couple of years ago, my Dad got into a very bad accident. We thought he would walk when pigs fly! Well... he started walking! So when I saw a flying pig ornament at World Market, I picked it up right then and there. That is probably my most special one!!!

cakelady15 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 60

Blue and silver must be very popularicon_smile.gif That's my theme too, but my tree is actually blue and all of my ornaments are white and silver. Most of them are snowmen ornaments, but I do have a few angels in there.

Boofycakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 60

I'm 21 and live with my parents, and my mom LOVES ornaments. OBSESSED! We have a 9 foot tree with colored lights and enough ornaments (non themed) that it looks like it will topple over! It actually looks very tasteful and beautiful.

Upstairs in our hall way I have a 3 foot tree that is completely baking themed. White lights, clear beaded garland, clear iridescent glass ball ornaments and cookie cutters, gingerbread people, LOTS of cupcakes, baker santas, candy canes, mini whisks and spatulas... you name it!

but we're big decorators here. our whole house gets packed up and redecorated! December is the best month of the year because the house is so beautiful. Mom does a good job icon_smile.gif

KieslerKakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 60

We don't have a theme on our tree. It's a combination of ornaments the kids made when they were little and some I made with my mother in ceramics class. I purchase one or two new ornaments each year, just to add something fresh. Last year I added a cupcake ornament, because of all the baking I do. This is a great question, thanks for asking.

colabear71 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 60

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that some years I put up a second tree that is decorated with my collection...Coca Cola. The only thing that isn't coke on the tree is the lights. I use a tree topper, decorations and tree skirt which are all coca cola. I also have the village with all buildings and accessories which are coca cola too.

I'm actually thinking of selling all of my coca cola christmas stuff though...I moved into a smaller house and it just takes up toooo much space to store and I really don't have the room for the second tree here.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 60

We don't have a theme, although I'd love to do a victorian theme. I usually do a color scheme though. One year it was white and silver, one year red and gold. I think this year, it's just going to be a combination of everything.

dmich Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:29pm
post #13 of 60

Our tree doesn't have a theme. My husband and I have ornaments from when we were little - ones our parents and family friends gave us. Now we also have lots of decorations given to our kids. It's fun to open each ornament and remember the story behind it. We each have our favorites and find honored spots on the tree for them.

butterfly831915 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:43pm
post #14 of 60

I do a silver, blue and white theme plus a crayola crayon theme, i strung together crayons for garland, have little min. boxes etc and then it ties in my pictures I colored when I was little and christmas family photo's etc. I've not done my own that was not themed some how. I have an o.c.d. or should I say C.D.O. about christmas trees. By the time the season is over I'll have put up around 32. My family and friends and the hotels where I work, they always hit me up.

Frankyola Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 60

My soon LOOOOVE Mc.Donal's and he collect all the little toys from Mc. Donals, BK, Carl's Jr, etc., so this year he want to decorate our tree with all his little tresures icon_lol.gif , and I think we'll do it, he is so exited about it.

Baking_Booth Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #16 of 60

My tree is red and gold with no particular theme... yet! After this year though I'm going to do a "family tree". I want to find red, green and/or gold frame ornaments and put pics of everyone in our family on it. I've been wanting to do that, hopefully I'll get to it this year!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:03pm
post #17 of 60

I WISH I could do a theme. I did my trees in themes before kids. Now I just kind of let them have at it. I have all of the ornaments they have made over the years at school etc., we put those on there and then make new ones every year.

michellenj Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:06pm
post #18 of 60

I love Christmas trees. I wish I could see everyone's tree.

My theme is old fashioned. This year I did the clear lights, but some years I do the colored big lights like my grandparents use, and I have lots of Christopher Radko and that type ornaments that I put up.

panchanewjersey Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 60

For the past 3 years my tree has been 8 ft and is gold & silver. My ornaments are beautiful silver or gold, gold/silver large poinsettias, silver and gold stars & snowflakes, white lights, and a huge gold ribbon that has 4 long curled ribbons coming down from it that on each side of the tree. We also add some irridescent sparkly stuff so it shimmers when we light it. We love it and so does everyone else. I also make my wreath that hangs from my door to match my tree. I wish I could post a picture but don't know how.

melkneec Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:20pm
post #20 of 60

Our tree really doesn't have a theme. Every year we make a new ornament to add to the collection. I have done this from the time I could with my family. Now that I have a family of my own we do the same. Everyone else in the family has joined us and we have a ornament exchange at Christmas dinner. I love each and everyone of the family made ornaments. I'm making cake ornaments this year! icon_biggrin.gif

I love reading everyones post!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:22pm
post #21 of 60

We don't have a theme - just ornaments the kids have made throughout the years, plus photo ornaments (of the kids of course, lol). We have some Grateful Dead christmas lights on the tree....and to say it's eclectic would be an understatement, LOL!

I have been eye-ing some lovely red & white ornaments at Michael's...but we just don't have the money! But if I had a theme it would be red, white & silver!

susanscakecreations Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:30pm
post #22 of 60

Mine is blue and silver also! I have had to 'downgrade' to a smaller tree b/c of living room arrangements/ my children are grown................but it's still a gorgeous tree! I wish I had room for a humongous tree!!!!!!!
I also love the idea of a 'kitchen tree'! I think I will try to do that next year.............I would also like to do a new theme next year with the antique/bronze-y type ornaments that I have seen would SO match my country decor!

I would love to see all the CC'ers trees!!!!

Merry Christmas!

KatieTaylor77 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:32pm
post #23 of 60

I just redid our Christmas tree this year. The last 2 years I did a gingerbread theme with homemade ornaments and red and silver on the tree.

Since I just got married in Nov, I decided to change my tree out so I can use the extra gold leaf favors we had at our wedding. Our tree is now gold, bronze and deep brown. I have ball ornaments, gold glittered branches, bronze bows, the gold leafs and some gold beaded garland. I didn't put a star up yet though . . . cant decide what I like best. My husband hates holiday decorations . . . calls them clutter. I keep my Christmas decorations as minimal as I can stand since I go crazy with my pumpkin collection in the fall. icon_smile.gif

l80bug79 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:40pm
post #24 of 60

mine is disney. if it's not disney, it doesn't make it on the tree or anywhere else for that matter. i have the disney village, train, christmas china, and other "decorations" that won't be coming out until my little one gets older (because they are irreplaceable). The only thing i put out that is not disney related is my Gorham crystal nativity set that i just love.

Honeydukes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm
post #25 of 60

Main tree - no theme, just things we love. I collect skating and my DH likes planes. We still have the same real candy canes from our very first tree (no eating, of course!). We have ornaments from when we were kids and some that we've made and/or painted. Always remember to write the date on your ornaments!!! I keep a permanent marker in the box and write the date, and if it's a gift, who it's from.

I have two kitchen trees -- a small one covered in gingerbread, baking and sweets ornaments and an even smaller one with tiny ornaments my neighbor gave me.

Themes are really nice, though. I just wouldn't be able to make up my mind! Thew sure make it easy for gifts. My friend has a white tree with pink, white and silver (mostly pink) ornaments. So when I find something pink, I know she'll love it!

Now gifts on the other hand... I wrap all my gifts in peppermint-striped and GB/ cookie themed paper and bags! Just wait for the after-Christmas sales.

BakingGirl Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm
post #26 of 60

My name is BakingGirl and I am a compulsive ornament shopaholic. There, I said it. As soon as the Christmas stuff comes into the shops I cannot not buy some more Christmas decorations, even though last year I had to leave ornaments off because there was no more space.

The kids have one tree which they decorate with stuff they have made and ornaments that they have picked out themselves. For "my" tree I try to get a real tree as big as possible each year, the best one was 14 ft tall and just stunning. My colour theme is red, white and silver. I need to move to a new bigger house so that I can add another tree and expand my colour scheme. KrissieCakes, I love the sound of your kitchen tree - it sounds fab!

Michelle104 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:22pm
post #27 of 60

icon_eek.gif Oh my goodness you guys! Your trees sound beautiful!! I love the idea of the permanent marker in the box to make sure that the date gets added! That's a great one! I would LOVE also to have a small kitchen tree with only baking related items on it! This really is my dream and my kids decided to let me decorate the tree how I would like this year. I figured the cheapest way to do that was the cookie cutters! icon_lol.gif We'll find out sometime in January hopefully if we'll be relocating for DH's job. If this is the case then I will so have 3 or 4 trees next year!!!! All with different themes like Krissy!!

Thanks for all the replies! It's so fun to hear everyone's! Wish we could see them all! icon_rolleyes.gif

Merry Christmas!!

dailey Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #28 of 60

we want pictures!!!

southaustingirl Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:37pm
post #29 of 60

My tree has a color (any shade of dark red and/or burgandy) and gold accents.

Michelle104 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:42pm
post #30 of 60

Oh! That is so pretty! I wish I could figure out how to post pics in the forums! Sometimes I can't even post in MY pics. Show us some more everybody!!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%