Thoughts On Ka 600/610? Want To Double Nfsc

Baking By TracyLH Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 1:47pm by TracyLH

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 11

Hmm... maybe I can speed things up and do a double batch of NFSC with a bigger mixer? Does anyone have the KA 600/610? Have you used it to double the NFSC and, if so, what do you think?

Obviously, if I were to get this, in no way would not be just for NFSC, but I am curious if anyone doubles the recipe successfully with either of these models.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 11

I have the KA pro 600 and I have never doubled my NFSC recipe in it ... I would have my doubts, but that is just me!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 11

I have the KA pro 600 and I have doubled my chocolate chip cookie recipe and cakes but not the NFSC. Also doubled cinnimon roll dough with no probs.
I do love my KA I have two in fact.
A little tip....I use a cheap shower cap when mixing loads of PS so it does not gum up the gears.

Hope this helps some.
Laura

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 11

Nope, I don't double either with the KA600. Sometimes the NFSC wants to pop on out of the bowl it seems and I don't think double that amount would stay in. LOL! I think it's one of those recipes that is worth taking the extra time to make in two batches than risk my precious Pearl (what I named my KA icon_smile.gif ). Maybe one day we will have a bakery with a Hobart mixer. Oooh!

TracyLH Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 11

Oh, bummer! icon_sad.gif I was really hoping to double the recipe! Guess I will skip on this idea. icon_cry.gif Maybe I will try to post the question alone if anyone ever has, regardless of the type of mixer.

Thanks for all of your help!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:55am
post #6 of 11

I tried in in my 610....once. It didn't mix well at all and I ended up having to finish by hand. Not anything I want to do again! It took FOREVER! The recipe is just too big to double.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 11

I wouldn't try to double it based on the responses here. But..... I would still get the bigger mixer!! I am thinking about it but my ka mixer has been so good to me that I can't replace her (not yet!). Hope you get it though - get a funky color too!

TracyLH Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 11

Peeverly - you are funny! I just have a hard time justifying it if I can't do a double of NFSC, which is what I use my mixer for the most. Hold on to your hat on this one - you mention that you are thinking about it yourself, but you don't want to replace your current one. When I was on the KA forum site, I saw that some people have 4 - 5 of them. So, I would say to you that if you do it, keep your old one! As for me, if I do it, I am torn between the red and the more subdued 'match the kitchen' stainless look. But again, not so sure I am going to as I am not getting the big 'thumbs up' that my idea would work even in it so I can't so easily justify it no matter how 'pwetty' it is. (and it IS 'pwetty'). icon_biggrin.gif

vinman9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vinman9 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 11

Hi All, perhaps this is a silly question, but when you make dough in with the KA, do you use the paddle or the hook? Thanks!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 11

Depending on the dough, I will sometimes start the mixing process with the paddle and finish the actual kneading with the dough hook. But you always want to use the hook for kneading. Also, FYI, my 6-qt KA instructions say not to mix above the second speed when using the hook. HTH.

TracyLH Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 11

I have always used the paddle. Didn't think to use the hook.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%