Any Tips On Smooth Royal Icing?

Decorating By AlixsCakes Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 9:10am by xstitcher

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 9:19am
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone.
icon_sad.gif
Does anyone have any tips on how to get a smooth covering of royal icing? Usually it takes me a LOT of layers to get anywhere close, and I still have to cover some parts with a ribbon!

Thank you very much

14 replies
kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 15

Hi and welcome to CC! Careful tho, it's addicting icon_wink.gif !

Are you covering the entire cake with RI? That's something rarely done in the US, so I may not be of much help, but certainly someone here will.

I know that when I have rough places or little points on my RI piping, I can smooth them with a damp artisits brush. If you are covering the entire cake, I don't know if you might could use a spatula dipped in hot water then wiped almost dry. A question for you...does your RI dry rock hard, and if so, how do you cut the cake? Inquiring minds want to know icon_rolleyes.gif .

Best of luck,
Kathy

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:18am
post #3 of 15

I'm with kjt! I'd love to know too....

Here's a link I found for covering your cakes with RI (it's from the UK). Hope it helps.

http://www.imaginativeicing.demon.co.uk/royalicing_howtocover.html

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:32am
post #4 of 15

How interesting! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

AlixsCakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:17am
post #5 of 15

Brilliant - thanks for your help and welcome folks (you're right - it is addictive!!). I look forward to trying the tips ('ll post th ephoto to let you know how it went)

I do cover cakes with royal icing (our family Christmas cake swere always done like that, though I've switched to fondant for most things for speed and finish). I add glycerine to the mixture which helps to make the icing dry a little less hard.

Having said that - my wedding cake was royal iced in the height of summer. It had SO MANY layers of royal icing to acheive a smooth finish. My Mum was so paranoid about the cake and sugar flowers not staying dry due to the humidity she put the fan on it for large parts of the day. As a result -it stayed beautifully dry, but when we came to cut it we had to 'mime' because it had dried so hard we would have taken some eyes out if we'd really tried to cut it!!!
LL

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 15

Geez...that is beautiful...so smoooooth! icon_smile.gif

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 15

This is a good way of doing it too!

To Flat Ice a Cake
1. Apply on top of almond paste. Spoon almost half the icing on top of the cake and spread it evenly with a palette knife, using a paddling motion to help remove any air bubbles.

2. Draw an icing ruler at an angle of about 30° across the top of the cake applying light, even pressure. Remove any surplus icing. If possible leave to dry for 24 hours.

3. To ice the sides, place the cake on an icing table. Spread the icing on the sides and smooth roughly with a small palette knife. Hold a cake scraper or palette knife at an angle of 45° and draw it towards you around the cake to smooth the surface.

4. For a square cake apply each side separately. Neaten the edges with a palette knife and leave to dry for 24 hours.

5. For a really smooth finish apply a second thinner coat. Use fine sand paper to rub and smooth down any imperfections before re-coating. Brush off any loose icing with a clean pastry brush.

Cheers,
ally

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 15

I always use a minimum of 3 coats. I do wet my steel edge before smoothing. I also make the final coat a bit thinner consistency so when I smooth it it goes into all the little holes and imperfections resulting in much smoother cake

AlixsCakes Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:36am
post #9 of 15

Brilliant - thank you all for your really helpful tips and comments. I'm off to try the first layer now!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:12am
post #10 of 15

oh wow! So when you use RI you don't eat the frosting? I would imagine it would be so sweet. It looks good though!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 15

It does normally get eaten. The sweetness is offset by the strong taste of the fruitcake, marzipan and spices

AlixsCakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:21am
post #12 of 15

Hello - just a quick thank you for all your tips on acheiving a smooth coat of RI. Here's the photo - Unfortunately I took a photo of the one side you could see the join before I realised and turned the rose round. Teach me to do things in hurry...
LL

xstitcher Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:16am
post #13 of 15

It looks absolutely beautiful! You did a fantastic job. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

AlixsCakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:29am
post #14 of 15

Thank you so much and thank you again for your tips - they were invaluable!! icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:10am
post #15 of 15

Anytime! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%