Red Velvet Question

Baking By chookbrown Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 4:11am by chookbrown

chookbrown Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:36am
post #1 of 8

Sorry if this seems like a silly question but... I have only eaten red velvet cake once since coming to live in the USA. We don't have it down under and the one I made was a box mix just to try it out.

My niece wants a red velvet cake but I don't know what its really supposed to taste like. I thought the box tasted just as good as the cake to be honest. I mean what flavour is RED? Do they only put cream cheese frosting on it to give it taste?

Any help or suggestions would be sooo welcomed!

Thanks !

Colleen icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
GI Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:14am
post #2 of 8

This is a FAB recipe. I served it up to a large group of grandma's & grandpa's who grew up on it from the South. (The heart cake in my pix, for reference.) They LOVED it. I did NOT use CC icing. CC is not a true Red Velvet Icing.

The boiled icing is the traditional RV cake icing and it is Delish!

However, I didn't want to be concerned with lactose intolerant senior citizens, icon_eek.gif so I used my scrumptious Vanilla Buttercream with a hint of SugarShacks Wedding Bouquet. thumbs_up.gif

They gobbled all that cake right down! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7027-8-Sarahs-Red-Velvet-Cake-TWEAKED.html

chookbrown Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks GI I really appreciate the help. I just didn't want to make her a cake that tasted like nothing... Will give this cake a go tonight!

Cheers, Colleen icon_biggrin.gif

GI Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 8

Your welcome! Please share how she liked it! I'm sure she's going to LUV it! icon_biggrin.gif

msulli10 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 8

Bobby Flay just did a Red Velvet Cake throwdown. His competitor (The Cake Man Raven) used vinegar and very little cocoa. It's definitely not suppposed to taste like a chocolate cake. He also used the Cream Cheese icing, although Bobby did not.
There are a ton of recipes out there. The trick is not to overbake.
Good luck.

tiggy2 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 8

I've used the recipe GI posted and it is wonderful. Easy to make and very moist.

chookbrown Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks msulli10 and tiggy2! I will be starting this tonight so I will definitely post info on how it turns out.

Tiggy2, I can't wait to move back to Omaha!! I lived in Lincoln for 10 years before coming down to Oklahoma last year!

Cheers and thanks again,

Colleen icon_smile.gif)

chookbrown Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:11am
post #8 of 8

Ok, the taste is great from GI's recommended cake recipe but mine looks more chocolate with just a hint of red and I added more red color than it asked for. I will remake them tomorrow since my niece really wants a RED cake... I guess I could cut back the amount of cocoa powder but that might affect the taste. I used the Chefmaster liquid colours which are supposed to be of high quality.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%