Black Royal Frosting?

Decorating By PinkGiGi Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 9:50am by deetmar

PinkGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkGiGi Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make some black royal frosting letters. Would it best for me to try to tint the frosting black or should I just make white letters and then spraypraint them black (I don't have a airbrush, so it would be using the Wilton spray paint).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 5

When I used the Wilton Black Spray, I didn't care for it much, turned out more gray then black. I would try making black royal icing. I made some and made gray first then just added more until I got black. Depending on how much you need, you may want to make smaller batches, that helps me get my icing blacker.

Another idea would be to make the letters then paint them with black coloring.

HTH. good luck

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 5

I made black royal frosting for Halloween spiderwebs with no problem. Just used my regular black icing color. The royal icing is much easier to make dark and/or bright than buttercream is. I don't think you will have any trouble.
Heather

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 5

I highly recommend that you use powdered color to make your black royal. It doesn't change the texture of the icing and you can get a deep black easier.

HTH
Rae

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 9:50am
post #5 of 5

I use the Americolor super black and never have a problem with Royal Icing. Now buttercream and fondant are a different story, but I would go with it for the RI.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%