How Do I Make Popcorn?

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 4:29pm by diane706

alvarezmom Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 5

My daughter is having a b-day in two weeks. She wants High School Musical cake. I have already found some GREAT ideas from fellower ccer's. I have ONE question...how do you make the popcorn? Do you use fondant and just shape it?

4 replies
GI Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 5

I have never made it but have seen pix posted here on CC of those using fondant and spraying it, or using mini-marshmallows and then painting it with yellow color mixed w/Vanilla.

You could try searching on the galleries for popcorn and then PMing the decorator to see how they did their technique. There are alot of great pix out there! icon_biggrin.gif

HTH! icon_smile.gif

dellboi2u Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 5

I've seen many use mini marshmallows. I think they just snip one end with scissors from the looks of it. I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but no cake orders that involve popcorn,lol. Good luck!

pepermartin Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 5

I would place several large marshmallows individually spaced on a microwave plate and microwave for about 10-15 seconds, just to soften thm and then attach mini-marshmallows around each invididual marshmallow to have it look like poped corn and then brush with a mixture of yellow gel coloring and clear vanilla.

diane706 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 5

I have a "bowl of popcorn" next to my Super Bowl cake on my website classycakes.org. Go to celebration cakes and then "sports". Sorry the pic is kinda light and doesn't show as much detail as I would have liked (old picture). Anyway, I learned this method from my idol Colette Peters. Just cover the top of whatever you are putting "popcorn" on with a thin layer of white buttercream. Then, pipe large round mounds of icing with the #11 tip and cover the surface of the cake. Next, use the #7 tip and pipe smaller mounds in between the larger ones. Collette says not to try to make the mounds uniform because the mounds won't look natural. Then, thin some brown food coloring with some water and paint small dots of coloring in between some of the "kernals". HTH! Have fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%