Stacked Book Cake...please Help!

Decorating By Galler Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 9:59pm by Galler

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 20

I know this is probably an dumb question but before I make all the cakes and figure it out by having to start over 3 or 4 times to get it right I thought for once I would ask for help....please help!

I am doing a sci-fi cake and thought that stacked books with a few characters around them would do the job. However I can't figure out how you ladies made the covers a different color than the paper. I want to do it all in fondant.

Did you cover the cake first in white fondant for the pages then with a colored fondant for the cover? or did you cover the cake in the colored fondant and then put a strip of white fondant on for the pages?

Thanks!!!!

19 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 20

Oh books are so not fun. I wish you luck. You can just cut a strip of white to go around the sides for the pages, not need to cover the whole thing. You could also use the basketweave tip to pipe the pages in buttercream.

stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 20

Oh books are so not fun. I wish you luck. You can just cut a strip of white to go around the sides for the pages, not need to cover the whole thing. You could also use the basketweave tip to pipe the pages in buttercream.

stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 20

stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 20

Galler Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks! I thought this would be fairly easy till I really looked at it. Now I am stuck....

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 20

I don't think they are too hard if you let your fondant stiffen up before you put your "cover" on.

Here is how I did mine:

a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the dark colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottom "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 20

ps... pages first

Galler Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:04am
post #9 of 20

Thanks Sharon! I just ordered some stuff from you last week. I guess I will do a test cake before I have to do three big ones.

Galler Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 20

OK I tired to do one of these and it looks like crap! I just don't know what I am doing wrong!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 20

I made a stacked book cake for graduation a few months ago. As mentioned above, I did a white strip around three sides of the book, and then did the cover, all in fondant. What I wanted to do but I ran out of time was cut the strip and then texturize it (for lack of a better term) so it had ridges that would make it look more like paper, then paint some blue thin lines to make it look more 3D. It my head it sounded/looked great! Who knows if it would have even worked.

scrabblemomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrabblemomof1 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 20

I did my first book recently. And what the ladies are saying above is right. First measure the three sides of the book and cut a strip of white fondant first. You can even use that veining tool to make it look like individual pages. Then measure the top and remaining side (with the binding). I do this in two steps, first the top is one piece, then the binding is one piece. Then I just used strips to make it look like the bottom has a backcover.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:36pm
post #13 of 20

Is there a pictured tutorial for the book cake?

Galler Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 20

Thank you for your responses. I would love to see a pictured tutorial of this kind of cake!!!

Galler Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 12:48am
post #16 of 20

Double post icon_redface.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:40am
post #17 of 20

Oh my gosh. That cake is amazing! You should write a pictoral tutorial.

stephaniescakenj Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:49am
post #18 of 20

It's AWESOME!!!! Great Job! icon_eek.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:02am
post #19 of 20

WOW! Your cake rocks! Great work!

Galler Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:59pm
post #20 of 20

jammjenks: If I do one of these again I will. I was so worried I would mess up the book part I didn't do it this time. icon_smile.gif I took stages pictures with the characters but not the books.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%