How Tall Is Too Tall?

Decorating By whisperingmadcow Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 3:39am by indydebi

whisperingmadcow Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 5

So let me first say that I am new to cake decorating. My brother knows that I love it and he asked me to make his wedding cake for him. Its a really small wedding so I made a 6" and a 8" cake to stack. I baked one box between two 6"x2" pans and then two boxes worth in 8" cake. (basicly two 8" cakes). I assembled the 6" first cutting of the tops which gave me 2 cakes at 6"x2". I then used the same height for the 8" cake. Now that everything is together, it looks too tall. I am guessing somewhere between 4" to 5" for each layer. How tall should a standard round cake be?

Also as a side note, what would you have charged for something like that? Just BC with fondant polka Dots.

4 replies
lindambc Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

It doesn't sound to high actually. I try to make each of my cakes 4 inches tall. When I first started making cakes I thought it was too high also, but when it all comes together it looks amazing.

Pricing depends on where you are located and what you are doing. I charge between $2.25 and $3 per serving.

P.S. I love your final class cake, really cute!

butterfly831915 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

I don't think that is to tall at all. I've seen much taller. Price depends on your area.

whisperingmadcow Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both. I just wanted to make sure I didn't creat some kind of mutant cake or something!

I am in denver. How do I find out what the norm is for my location? Just call around and get quotes?

indydebi Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:39am
post #5 of 5

Yep! I always use the "my dingbat sister is getting married and since she is such as scatterbrain, we've all divided the wedding responsibilities. I'm in charge of the cake. Look, I've no idea what I'm doing. Can I get some pricing information and some gen'l cake information? I'm not even sure what questions to ask right now. Thanks!!"

After they laugh with me, I tend to get LOTS of info from them, which gives me a good feel for what they tell their brides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%