Lane Cake Anyone??

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 6:26pm by SugarBakerz

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 9

Just wondering if any of you who have made a true lane cake could give me an idea on pricing one? I have a customer wanting one Wednesday... i have avoided these bad boys like the bubonic, but living here in the deep south, they are the rage... ANYONE?

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know what a lane cake is so I' can't help you but I'll give you a bump.

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 9

What is a true lane cake?

SugarBakerz Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:56am
post #4 of 9

i mean a lane cake completely from scratch, no mixes... that is it icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:15am
post #5 of 9

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/1503/Recipe.cfm

Googled and found this....idk if it helps or not, looks like a royal pita!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 9

I made one once a million years ago. I recommend grinding the raisins or chopping them down real real small actually I might substitute currants and I'd whirl it in the food processor--add some liquid so it chops well.

In fact I'd mince everything. Because you want a yellow or white cake to cut & serve nice. If you have big chunky bits all over the place it will not serve pretty. To me even a quartered cherry is too big for a pretty slice.

It's ok as a cake--nothing to write home about. Maybe this recipe is better than the one I had.

I'd use the Sylvia Weinstock yellow cake for this--just google it. I add the eggs all at once I don't separate them and I use half the yoks called for.

But but but you gotta keep this baby chilled and once you chill a scratch cake especially made with buttah you start collecting complaints of it being dry if anyone even speaks up--but it's really that the butter does not allow the cake to relax at room temp.

So you're better off with a mix.

Some lane thought pour vous.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 9

i made a true lane cake several years ago... i mean from scratch.... i won $50.00 in a local contest... if i can find the recipe..i will post it... i,m thinking hard on where i put it.. i think you could get $55.00-60.00 for it.. i torted the layers and made extra filling, etc. for mine.. it was a hit at the contest... i filled it , iced the top and sides with my extra icing/filling mixture...

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 9

That sounds like a very tasty cake. I put the recipe into favorites. I like the idea of mincing the fruit for nicer cutting. Thank you for posting the question and thanks to everyone that posted ideas and the recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 9

thanks everyone. I told her $55 and she decided to order it for christmas and coconut for tomorrow, which takes a HUGE load off of me since my angel is in the christmas pageant tonight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%