Face Mask For A Football Helmet

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 5:35pm by ladyonzlake

cathie_shinnick Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I have seen so many great footbball helmets in the 3D sports gallery and I was wondering how you did them. I made one on wednesday used a 6" pan for guide and and it just broke into pieces. Should I use gumpaste. And I need to make 2 raven birds and was wondering ig it would be better to make it from candy clay, fondant isn't working well either

3 replies
turtle3264 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 4

What I did for my Clemson helmet was to form wire in the shape of the face guard and put mmf on top of it. None of the wire was sticking directly into the cake, it was covered in mmf. I just told them that the face guard was not edible. A lot of people don't like to put non-edible things on their cakes though.

brea1026 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 4

I have done 5 football helmet cakes now and every time I use gumpaste. I roll out snake like links and lay them over a 6" dummy to shape. I use push pins as support and rest the gumpaste against the pins to keep the curved parts from moving while they dry. I just use a little water to stick the gumpaste together where they overlap.

I have never had a problem with them breaking or anything. Just make sure that it has at least a day to dry first.

I hope that helps! Good Luck!

ladyonzlake Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 4

I use wire for mine and cover it with gumpaste. I wish there were an easier way. I tried making it with just gumpaste but it fell apart...I may not have let it dry long enough...I dried it overnight but it obviously needed longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%