Please Help With This Cake-Royal Icing Help!

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm by 2508s42

ladybuglau Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 13

My friend found this sylvia weinstock cake that she wants replicated for her wedding. My question is about the snowflakes.
Im making them out of royal icing, either double or triple piped so they have some stability. But I'm not sure how to attach them to the cake (it's buttercream) should I attach them with more buttercream or with more royal icing? And when it goes into the refrigerator at the catering hall, will they go limp? or will they stay up and keep their shape? I'm so nervous this is my 1st wedding cake and it's freaking me out! any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

12 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 13

If it is at all possible I would wait until you set the cake up on the table to put the snowflakes on.
You would'nt want them getting broke, accidentally of course.
They will be fragile even with triple royal icing.
And I would think you could just stick them directly on the cake with nothing to attach them, if the cake is already iced in buttercream that should be enough. They are'nt very heavy.
Sorry I could'nt help more.
Good Luck its a beautiful cake!

littlepeeps Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 13

You want to waiy as long as you can to put them on the buttercream will on itt breaking them down if they sit on it to long

littlepeeps Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 13

sorry baby was helping to type you want to wait as long as you can to put the snowflakes on the moisture in the butter cream will start to break them down and if they are in the refridgerater that will cause more break down learned that lesson the hard way

FullHouse Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 13

The refridgerator is not kind to royal icing. I wouldn't risk it. If the filling isn't perishable, can the cake be left out? Otherwise, if you are at the wedding, I would sneak off to set up the cake when the time comes. Be sure to post photos of your version, I sure it will be gorgeous.

tonedna Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 13

I have done them from a day before and it holds well, but my cake didnt go back in the fridge. If your is I would leave to put them last minute. The moisture in the fridge will cause them to break faster..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 13

Why would the reception venue put the cake in their refrigerator?

rocketmom1985 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 13

Martha Stewart has also done a similar cake, it was in her wedding magazine about 4 or 5 years ago...I recall 'cause my mom was getting married on New Year's eve and wanted this cake...I couldn't find a cake decorator in Springfield IL who would do it...we settled for fake snowflakes of all the same size...she was so disappointed.

Here is Martha's cake, which is not as pretty as the one you posted icon_smile.gif
Basic snowflake instructions are also there....

tonedna Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 13
Originally Posted by leahs

I wondered this too!..Nobody wants to eat cold cake!
Edna icon_smile.gif

ladybuglau Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:44am
post #10 of 13
Originally Posted by leahs

I'm not really sure about that honestly. They told her that it will be refrigerated, maybe because I'm considered an outside vendor and they don't wanna risk anyone getting sick on someone else's food and thinking it's their fault? Maybe I should call them again and see if it can stay at room temp, I'm even more nervous now!!!!!!

ladybuglau Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 13

btw, I accidentally posted this question 2ce, so now I have extra responses, thanks everyone!

aprilbree Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:07am
post #12 of 13

thanks rocketmom for the martha stewart link! i really liked her version too!

and i just had to say that i LOVE LOVE LOVE cold cake!! i know i'm not EVERYONE, but i read, "nobody wants to eat cold cake" and laughed cuz i'm weird like that. icon_smile.gif but i also got everyone else in my household started on the cold cake with cold icing. we're all hooked. they love my cake scraps.

2508s42 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #13 of 13

Make sure you make a lot more than you will need because they WILL break. I have one in my photos too. Check it out, see if you like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%