Please Help With This Cake-Royal Icing Help!

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 12:47pm by Kay_NL

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 8

My friend found this sylvia weinstock cake that she wants replicated for her wedding. My question is about the snowflakes.
Im making them out of royal icing, either double or triple piped so they have some stability. But I'm not sure how to attach them to the cake (it's buttercream) should I attach them with more buttercream or with more royal icing? And when it goes into the refrigerator at the catering hall, will they go limp? or will they stay up and keep their shape? I'm so nervous this is my 1st wedding cake and it's freaking me out! any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
LL

7 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:16am
post #2 of 8

icon_eek.gif This is WAAAAY over my head....but here's a bump! Maybe another more expert CC will see this and reply!

icon_biggrin.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:29am
post #3 of 8

Ah, what a pretty cake! If I were you I would use buttercream to attach the snowflakes. But I wouldn't attach them until you set up the cake, if that's an option.

I put snowflakes on a cake a few hours before serving, and they were fine. You could always do a practice cake at home and see how long the snowflakes stay together.

whatever you do, make lots of snowflakes, you will have breakage. Good luck!

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:45am
post #4 of 8

I would not put royal in the refrigerator. Royal doesn't like any amount of moisture and the snowflakes will go mushy.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:32am
post #5 of 8

agree with Brujalita, RI might melt in the fridge at the worst and at best goes soft and then they break easily. Cant you make them out of chocolate?

ladybuglau Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 8

ooooh, maybe I will make them out of chocolate!!!!!! then i can attach them with buttercream???

ladybuglau Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 8

btw, I accidentally posted this question 2ce, so now I have extra responses, thanks everyone!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 8

I would put a toothpick or extend one flake point longer with chocolate, then stick that in the cake! It wouldn't work so well with Royal as the butter cream grease would affect the icing, but with chocolate it works perfectly!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%