Royal Icing

Decorating By erikamj Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 4:52am by erikamj

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:31am
post #1 of 13

I am not sure if this should be posted here but here goes.,..

I need an icing recipe that works great for gingerbread houses. Prefereably one that does not use eggs.

What do you wonderful CC members suggest?

12 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 10:09am
post #2 of 13

Hi, there are lots of Royal Icing recipes in the recipe section. I don't use fresh eggs. I use powdered egg whites. icon_smile.gif

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 10:28am
post #3 of 13

Antonia 74's recipe, which uses meringue powder instead of eggs. It's a really great RI!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 13

Wilton's is also good.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 13

Do you mean completely eggless? I am not sure how you would make RI without eggs all together. If you are looking to just glue the house parts together you can use caramelized sugar, it will dry rock hard so it is a sturdy glue, but it is a bit of a messy technique plus it is easy to burn yourself on the hot sugar.

erikamj Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 13

thanks for the hints. I thought it could be completely eggless (teach me to try and figure things like this out after midnight icon_redface.gif ) but I know it can't be.
I think the meringue powder recipes would probably work best, I was afraid of the amount of eggs needed since my sons teacher wants 25 batches of RI for 48 small houses.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 13

If there is not dietary reason to avoid egg you could perhaps just get cartons of egg whites at supermarket to make all the RI. Good luck, sounds like a monster job.

erikamj Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:13am
post #8 of 13

I never even thought of using the egg white packs from the grocery stores. I will look into that as well.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:33am
post #9 of 13

If it's a cost issue, I would get a 40% off coupon for Joann's or Michael's and buy a big container of wilton meringue powder. Then all you need is powdered sugar. The meringue powder is cheaper than any powdered egg whites I have seen.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:52am
post #10 of 13

I too would use the 40% coupon for Joann's Michael's or Hobby Lobby for the meringue powder. Then make Antonia74's recipe & it makes 6 cups---that is a lot RI! Are they using it for "glue" or to decorate. How big are the houses? I would think if it's just to "glue" the houses that you wouldn't need so much. And 25 batches? Does she just mean 25 separate containers & 2 kids will share one container?

erikamj Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:01am
post #11 of 13

these are small graham cracker houses (one bottom, 4 walls, 3 roof). She figures that 2.5 cups would be plenty for 2 houses (both assembling and decorating).
I personally think that would be too much, the recipe she wanted to use makes 2.5 cups each batch and she figures she is going to need 25 batches.
She is picking up the Meringue powder and I will take a look at the Antonia 75 recipe.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:12am
post #12 of 13

2.5 cups to decorate two small gingerbread houses icon_confused.gif you can decorate a 3 tier cake with that much RI. She is going to be up to her knees in icing icon_lol.gif

erikamj Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:52am
post #13 of 13

She finally realized that I was right when I told her it was too much icing. Now I only have to make 10 batches at 2.5 cups each batch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%