Wedding Cake Rant.....just Have To Vent!

Decorating By HipnotiqGlamour Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 6:18am by Denise

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:33am
post #1 of 6

Okay so there are these acquaintances of my DH and mine. They come to me on the 28th of November telling me they need a wedding cake for DECEMBER 6th. Due to the fact I didn't have anything going on and they are friends, i decided to take a look at what they wanted. Something pretty simple just a 3 tier cake with flowers on it no prob.

SOOOO I go thru all the trouble of getting them quotes on flowers, real flowers, edible flowers and then silk. Due to the fact that they waited so long to order their wedding cake the real flowers are not included in their package by their florist so I had to go and get a quote for fresh flowers.

I went and talked to the groom and asked him about their budget and he said " Just do it don't worry about it" Well thinking this was a bad idea I decided to call the bride and her daughter over to my house for a consultation. I explained by prices and then gave them options on the flowers. I got quotes for this cake by 4 other places in town and all of them priced the cake between $575 and $650 that's not including the out of town delivery and flowers.

I decided to tell the bride and her daughter I would do the cake for $300 and if they wanted fresh flowers I would charge $400. Okay this is a UNBELIEVABLE price especially for what they were asking for and the fact they gave me ONE WEEK NOTICE!!!!!!

After the consultation the bride told me she would get back to me with their answer about the flowers and next thing I know im getting a call from her fiance saying he is canceling his order. WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING!! THEIR WEDDING IS IN 7 DAYS!!

So sorry just had to rant, I just started getting into a wedding cakes so im new to all this but DANG...some people!

5 replies
stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:38am
post #2 of 6

Oh some people, you just want to smack icon_evil.gif that's so rude after all the trouble you went through. they probably thought they'd be getting it for free or at least as their wedding present. what a pain!

KKC Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:45am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

Oh some people, you just want to smack icon_evil.gif that's so rude after all the trouble you went through. they probably thought they'd be getting it for free or at least as their wedding present. what a pain!

I agree...With people like that i just have to take a deep breath and ask god to give me enough strength to stop from calling them and cursing them from A-Z icon_wink.gif Sorry that you had to go thru that!

jamhays Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:55am
post #4 of 6

Good thing he cancelled now & didn't just have you do the cake & then not pay you for it.

indydebi Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:52am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhays

Good thing he cancelled now & didn't just have you do the cake & then not pay you for it.

Amen. But this is also why I require the couple to provide all florals, silk or real, and the cake toppers. I don't have time to be their personal shopper, just so they can complain later how my flowers didn't match THEIR flowers.

Denise Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 6:18am
post #6 of 6

I don't do flowers! I could (used to be a florist) but I don't allow fresh flowers on my cakes as a general rule...sugar only so cost of the flowers would be a moot point for any of my brides.

I am sorry you spent so much time running after these people but I wouldn't do a thing more...most likely they thought it would be "their present".

If they want cake for their wedding they will let you know...if not, go to the wedding and enjoy their dry/stale store bought cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%