Food Network Extreme Holiday Cakes...anyone Watch It?

Decorating By KKC Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 1:27pm by GeminiRJ

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:58pm
post #61 of 67

I was really disappointed in the challenge. I had really been looking forward to watching it. I know it was "extreme", but I just think they were all trying to do cakes that were impossible to do well in the time period they had to work in.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:52am
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

Edited to say: I don't really know why this thread and the comments made here about what was said about someone NONE OF US really knows is bothering me so much. I was just sitting here thinking, though, that it seems that unless you are indydebi or chutzpah (both of whom I adore, by the way), it seems that you are not allowed to be sassy in your posts or say anything negative about anyone or anything without the claws coming out immediately.

Amen Sister thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I've stated that (not naming names though) in one of my previous posts. Oh well, i guess thats how it goes icon_wink.gif

jkeeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkeeler Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:22am
post #63 of 67

I've been reading through these posts and have to agree with a lot of folks--I thought it was just me but I've been dissapointed with the last few Challenges lately--the Skyline one, this Extreme Holiday Cake come to mind. They have 8 hours to wow the judges but just by that fact its not enough time to make something 'big' and well done at the same time. Bronwen does incredible work and even hers was not up to her usual level. Sigh, I hope they tweak the format a bit---or at least all the competitors need to practice before hand like the Patry Chefs do for the Pastry challenges (hugh chocolate or sugar sculpture, etc.) Food Network shows occaisionally---those teams practice months before hand--I guess maybe a little to much to ask--but for $10K---I think I'd practice a little more. Still look forward to them. Anyone know if they are doing a show on the Grove Park Gingerbread contest---love that!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:32am
post #64 of 67

I think the popular vote here is to do away with the nonsensical Home Depot cakes and get back to the basics with no silly gimmicks.

I have never met nor spoke with Kerry Vincent. I certainly want to believe that she is a sweet & caring individual, but, then why does she allow herself to be portrayed like that time and time again?

jkeeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkeeler Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:39am
post #65 of 67

Never met Kerri but she does instill a little bit of fear..... icon_surprised.gif

I look at her as kind of the Simon Cowell of cake judges---a lot of people talk smack about her but I do notice that when she is complimentary to something or someone people seem to grasp on to that more than any other judges comments--love her or hate her, a lot of people are happy if they please her.

Human nature, ain't it grand.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:24pm
post #66 of 67

Well...I just saw the episode last night.I have to agree with many posters in saying that they are getting away from the real reason they are there..To Decorate!! No pyrotechnics...no remote control santa heads....or santa bags etc.I want to see a good old challenge with stacking and pillaring and all that stuff and actual decorating with flowers and techniques like lustre dusts and airbrushing etc..That being said I was a bit dissapointed with all 4 cakes..Lori's cake was not thought out.How in the world did she think several large,thick sugar panels were going to hold together..Laws of gravity...I like Bronwen's design but I agree with most..I didn't like seeing all the wires etc in between the tree boughs.Buddy's cake was big and huge but I agree the santa head was not molded by hand..he used a mold and was a little theatrical but I liked his ideas like the shingles dipped in poppy seeds.The young gentleman(Sorry forgot his name) His cake was alright but I felt all the technical problems on and off kinda deflated the end result.I felt his work was better than most but still I think he is way more talented at gumpaste flowers.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:27pm
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

I know I saw a competition long ago on Food Network, it was maybe all wedding cakes or something, where the contestants brought in already finished work, and during the competition they had a challenge where the decorator drew one tip out of a bag and had to decorate a cake with it. Bronwyn Webber won (of course!), she used scotch tape to modify the tip (which was within the rules, I guess) and made a pretty little cake with a "B" on it or something like that.

This was back before they started having "Challenge" shows just for the sake of giving someone $10,000 and some insults. I'm sure someone else here knows the exact name of the show it was on, but I can't remember it.

This wasn't a Food Network Challenge....it was part of the Oklahoma Wedding Cakes competition one year (though it was shown on the Food Network). I thought it was very interesting to see what the decorators came up with, and Bronwyn's idea was genius!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%