Two Cakes In One Week!?!

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm by ZAKIA6

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:48am
post #1 of 11

I know most of you are used to doing multiple cakes in one week, but not me. I do about one cake every month or two.

I need some advice....

How far out do you bake the cakes? Do you leave them out, refrigerate, freeze? (I never had good luck when I tried freezing before)

When do you start decorating?

They both need to be done by 12/13....so I have about two weeks.

Thanks for the help!

10 replies
thatssweetbakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatssweetbakeshop Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:56am
post #2 of 11

Hello....

I just did 5 cakes and 100 Cupcakes all due at the same time on the same day and I work full time. It will be okay. Make all you can in advance. Icings, any decorations, ingredient bags and yes you can make the cakes, wrap them well and freeze them.

Good luck

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:31am
post #3 of 11

I never thought that I would or could do two cakes in one week. I don't do many like most, but I can do two or three plus cookies and have enough time. I think the key is to be organized. Make sure you have everything before you start. You don't want to be running out after powdered sugar or anything for that matter once you get started.

Usually mine are all do on Saturday. I start baking Monday or Tuesday, then set up assembly lines and go for it. Bake all the cakes, While some are baking start torting the others. Keep moving. I have found it easier now that all the kids are gone. We have two extra refrigerators just for cakes which help. It not only holds the cakes themselves, but buttercream, filling, and whatever else needed. I find it important to get them all filled and covered, leaving decorating for last. You then can add as much orlittle decorations as time allows. I always prepare my bows, and boards as early as possible, and things that need time to dry. I have my husband cut all the foamcore at the same time.

Hope this helps.

BlondiezBakery Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:49am
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the help. Wow...5 cakes a week plus working full time!?! I travel a whole lot for work, and I am usually out of town for a few nights a week, so that puts a huge cramp in the schedule.

I think I will go ahead and start baking ahead of time and just freeze the cakes.

How long do the cakes take to unfreeze? Do I need to do anything special with them for them to 'dry out' and not be moist with condensation?

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:15am
post #5 of 11

Cakes take very little time to thaw out. You can take them out and thaw on the counter, they should be ready in an hour.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:34am
post #6 of 11

I also work full time. But I've never freezed my cakes. I have an order for this Saturday and 3 dozen cupcakes for Sunday. I'll bake for Saturday on Thursday, decorate on Friday and ready for Saturday morning pickup. For the cupcakes, I'll bake on Friday while I'm decorating the other cake and decorate on Saturday for pickup on Sunday. But I have also had to bake for hours after I get home if I have two due on the same day. It is all about pacing and telling your DH to leave you alone, order take out and go away.

BlondiezBakery Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:47am
post #7 of 11

Ha ha....cute. icon_smile.gif My DH is pretty understanding, and there is pretty much no room for him in the kitchen between me and all my stuff all over the place....not to mention the powdered sugar bomb in the corner around my mixer. icon_smile.gif

How long does a cake last that has not been frozen? Also, do I need to frost it to keep the freshness sealed....or is it ok to leave alone?

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:52am
post #8 of 11

It's best to frost to keep it moist. At least a crumb will really help. If you don't freeze it, I wouldn't bake more than a couple of days before it's due.

I like to have cakes done the night before it's due, just in caseicon_smile.gif. So if it's due Saturday, bake Thurs., decorate Fri, and Sat. if need be.

BlondiezBakery Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:59am
post #9 of 11

Great advice....

So...If I decide to start baking this week, then I will need to probably defrost and decorate on the same timeline....a few days out?

I guess that is where all of my prep will need to come into place.

One of those cakes is going to be an attempt at a topsy turvy...so I am a little spooked/psyched up.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 11

I take up to 6 wedding cakes in a week, but only 4 for delivery ont he same day. It works out to 1000 servings of cake and I do that by myself. I also help run our B&B and work for city government part time.

The key is getting organized and making a time plan. Yes, write it down.

And I freeze all cakes.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm
post #11 of 11

i have two 3-tier cakes within 5 days of each other at the end of this month. i am already stressing....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%