Nascar Racetrack

Decorating By JillK Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 2:03am by jammjenks

JillK Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:06am
post #1 of 3

The backstory: My dad (otherwise known as the Biggest NASCAR Fan on the Planet) will turn 60 at the end of February. I have been sternly icon_rolleyes.gif instructed not to spend a dime on him for his birthday, since he knows things are a tad tight for my family right now. Since I don't want to hear about it for the next 10 years, I'm actually going to listen somewhat. icon_biggrin.gif

I am, however, going to make him the best darnest birthday cake I can manage. icon_cool.gif (Probably this technically counts as "spending a dime." Oh, well.) My plan is for a NASCAR racetrack, with cars on the tracks and people in the stands -- and, oh yeah, his favorite driver's car crossing the finish line under the checkered flag. (He'll get a kick out of this, as it hasn't happened in real life in years!)

I want to get out of my comfortable zone with this cake and make it really spectacular. (Acknowledging that if I somehow fail in what I attempt, dad will just be happy to have his favorite peanut-butter-chocolate cake.) Does anyone have any suggestions? I've never worked with carving or much fondant modeling, but I'd be willing to try just about anything. I'd like it to be very special for his 60th.

Any wild and crazy ideas (or even more practical, laid-back ideas) appreciated! Thanks!

2 replies
jammjenks Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:58am
post #2 of 3

What about this one?

(everyone's probably getting tired of seeing it by now, I'm sure.)

It's not the track with the grandstands and finish line, but it could be adapted to include some of those elements.
LL

jammjenks Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:03am
post #3 of 3

I did this one too. I never have posted it because I thought the track resembled a uterus shape, but maybe it'll give you some sort of inspiration....or a laugh....
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%