How Do You Get Powdered Sugar Off Your Fondant?

Decorating By bellabiaggio Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm by leah_s

bellabiaggio Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:55am
post #1 of 13

I love covering my cakes and decorating with Satin Ice Fondant, but how do I get my cakes clean? I always dust my board and rolling pin with confectioners sugar so that it doesn't stick, but they always look dusty. I have used a small paintbrush to get it off, but it's never perfect. I have gone so far as using a wet paintbrush on the accent pieces, but that just make is look really shiny like patent leather. Any suggestions?

12 replies
ski Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:03am
post #2 of 13

First I try to use cornstarch instead of powdered sugar, less sticky, then to remove a good amount of that "dusty" dull look use a portable steamer (iron) Wally world sells one for around 30.00. It's nothing fancy but does the trick. Just go over your fondant lightly withthe steamer and you should end with a nicelooking product.

bellabiaggio Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:41am
post #3 of 13

I have an upright steamer on wheels for clothes. I suppose I could try that if that is what you are talking about. What about the steam option on my regular Rowent iron?

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:04am
post #4 of 13

I hate the extra work that using PS or CS generates, so I roll my fondant out on a piece of vinyl or a silicone mat swiped with a small amount of crisco--owrks like a charm.

sweet_teeth Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 13

I always use a towel and brush the cake with crisco. It dries perfectly and takes off all of the extra cornstarch/powdered sugar. It looses the glossy look in a few hours and looks great!

dmich Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:23am
post #6 of 13

I always use a little Crisco as well. I live in Utah, where it is very dry, so the Crisco keeps the fondant from drying out, as well as avoiding sticking to surface.

AlixsCakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:13am
post #7 of 13

Sorry to be dopey - but what's Crisco? I don't think we have it in the UK...but I definitely have the same problem with 'dusty' looking fondant. icon_redface.gif

miny Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:38am
post #8 of 13

It's vegetable shortening, but you can also airbrush your fondant with vodka and works great when it dries which is really fast

banba Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:36am
post #9 of 13

I just use some viva towel bunched up and polish and dust the fondant with it!

Frankyola Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:17am
post #10 of 13
farizahani Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:24am
post #11 of 13
Originally Posted by AlixsCakes

Sorry to be dopey - but what's Crisco? I don't think we have it in the UK...but I definitely have the same problem with 'dusty' looking fondant. icon_redface.gif

Crisco is shortening (vegetable fat),in UK it called TREX or white flora,u can easily get it from asda,tesco or morisson. thumbs_up.gif

MissBaritone Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:59pm
post #12 of 13

my cakes look a bit dusty when I make them. However I brush the excess off with a small brush and leave in it's box overnight. By the next day all the dustiness has disappeared. I think it must be something to do with moisture in the air but do check the following day before assuming you have a problem

leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 13

The best way to get the ps/cs off the fondant is to not put it on there in the first place. I roll fondant on the counter with a bit of veg shortening rubbed onto the countertop. A vinyl mat also works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%