Kitchen Aid - Is This One Worth It?

Decorating By cakedaze Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 3:13pm by cakedaze

cakedaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedaze Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 1:39am
post #1 of 9

Walmart has a Kitchen Aid K5SSWH it is 250 watts, 10 speed, & 4.5 quarts for $198. Is it worth it? Or should I hold out for finding a better KA on sale? I can't go over 200.

I'm an amatuer baker - I don't bake cakes every week. However, the stand mixer I have is an OLD Sunbeam (probably 15+ years) & is in the death process icon_cry.gif

Perhaps someone knows of another brand that would be as good/better than a Kitchen Aid for 200.

Thanks for you input!!
Dana

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:07am
post #2 of 9

Here's what a quick check on the net yielded for Kitchenaid stand mixers best deal:

http://kitchendailydeal.blogspot.com/2006/07/great-deal-on-kitchenaid-artisan-5.html

From the Amazon site:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kitchenaid+stand+mixer

Kitchenaid stand mixer rebates:

http://tinyurl.com/5kwwht

HTH

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:19am
post #3 of 9

I love Kitchenaid. I have the Artisan 5-quart and the 6-quart professional from Kitchenaid. I wouldn't recommend going with less power than the Artisan especially if you're going to invest $200 in a mixer. The site posted by JanH shows it for $209 with rebate which is a really good deal.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:24am
post #4 of 9

I know many people are reluctant to do this, but I got my KitchenAid Epicurean (6 qt) for $110.00 off of Craigslist. Maybe I got lucky, but there were quite a few for sale. Mine was in perfect condition and works great. Might be worth a look if you're on a budget. Especially in this economy, there may be a lot of people looking to unload things they never use for quick cash.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:55am
post #5 of 9

I have a hamilton beach stand mixer because I couldn't bring myself to pay $300 for a mixer for hobby baking. It is has all metal construction and 400 horse power. More than the ka. Here's a link to amazon market place they have one right now for $159 . I absolutely love mine. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000308BWQ/192-0008162-5785214

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:39am
post #6 of 9

You can buy a factory reconditioned 6 quart KitchenAid from the www.shopkitchenaid.com website using the code "VALUE3" at checkout for under $200 shipped! I bought one this way after dropping my other Pro6 out of the back of my Suburban and killing it. The promo code takes nearly 50 bucks off and gives you free shipping. They say 7 to 10 days shipping but both times I've ordered from them, they send it 3-day UPS.

They currently have white, licorice, and meringue Pro6 mixers in stock.

Order Detail
  Qty     Item#     Description     Unit Price     Total     
  1     KTA RKP26M1XMR     Refurb 6Qt Professional 600 - Meringue     
  $239.00     
  Discount:     - $47.80   
  Payment Method:     VISA
  Subtotal:     $191.20   
  Shipping Method:     Standard Shipping 7-14 Business Days
Shipping:     $0.00   
  TX Tax:     $0.00   
  Total:     $191.20

If you go through ebates you will get an additional $11 cash back (6% cash back).

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 9

YES! You will love it icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

cakedaze Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for your replies!! I ended up getting the one from Amazon - with a rebate so it was about 200 - I ordered last night, should have waited until this morning to see Cakepro's advice! Oh, well, still got a good deal, I think.

Thanks!!!
Dana

cakedaze Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 9

I should say I got the one listed on Kitchendailydeal - - the first website. It sent me to a different one on Amazon that the one listed in the 2nd website. I got an Artisan (sp?) 5 qt 325 watt - - enough for me - I don't use it that often anyway . . . well, that might change now that I have one that isn't 20+ years or so! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%