Since I Can't Upload..*pics*

Decorating By Tinaweena197 Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 2:00pm by Tinaweena197

Tinaweena197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinaweena197 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 10

I finished up the 3rd wilton course thursday. We had to do a stacked cake as the grand finale. I had a ton of fun, and learned alot in the process of doing this one.
I had a slight disaster with it. It was 2pm thursday and I was just starting to cover the tiers with fondant for class at 6pm. I got the bottom tier's fondant all rolled out, placed it on the cake, started smoothing the one side and heard a funny noise. I dismissed it as the cat playing with something on the floor, and as I turned the cake to smooth the other side down, the fondant had torn (taking my buttercream with it) right off from the top edge on the one whole side. So I peeled the rest of it off the cake, threw it in the garbage, sat down had a cry and started again.
The fondant on the top tier is a little lumpy since I didn't really have enough left after my disaster to roll it as thick as I would have liked, so I just stretched what I had.
Moral of the story...making cakes is easy, learning how to fix your mistakes is the hard part!

Thanks for looking!!

9 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 10

beautiful job!! looks like the classes were a reall success!!!

the only thing i see that might affect the overall stability or appearance is the size of the bottom cake board...those flowers are so beautiful that it would be a shame for them to be chipped or broken in transport. once again,definitely a job to be proud of!!

atlantacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atlantacake Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 10

Very nice!!! I can't wait to take the classes.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 10

Beautiful cake and I love the flowers. icon_biggrin.gif

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:49am
post #5 of 10

Wow how beautiful.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:59am
post #6 of 10

Great job on the cake!!!

I was going to suggest though that if you ever have this problem again you can just reuse the fondant if it hasn't dried out yet. If you have a lot of bc on the fondant you could always take some of it off. Just rework the fondant and roll it out again. It will absorb the bc.

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:23am
post #7 of 10

you did an awesome job!!!! I love your flowers, they are beautiful. I am glad that you didn't give up.

Keep up the good work!!!

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 10

Oh wow, what a wonderful job. We never did something like that in our Wilton classicon_sad.gif

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 10

Wow, what a great job! As a Wilton instructor, those flowers aren't even in the lesson plan! Your instructor must not follow the lesson plans, but I LOVE, LOVE the flowers!!

Tinaweena197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinaweena197 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyfowler662

Wow, what a great job! As a Wilton instructor, those flowers aren't even in the lesson plan! Your instructor must not follow the lesson plans, but I LOVE, LOVE the flowers!!

Thanks everybody!! I didn't know I could just scrape the buttercream off and re-use the fondant! I will keep that in mind for sure haha.

Our instructor didn't teach us those flowers in the course. She did stick to the lesson plans, but I wanted to know how to do them, so I taught myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%