Since I Can't Upload..*pics*

Decorating By Tinaweena197 Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 2:00pm by Tinaweena197

Tinaweena197 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 10

I finished up the 3rd wilton course thursday. We had to do a stacked cake as the grand finale. I had a ton of fun, and learned alot in the process of doing this one.
I had a slight disaster with it. It was 2pm thursday and I was just starting to cover the tiers with fondant for class at 6pm. I got the bottom tier's fondant all rolled out, placed it on the cake, started smoothing the one side and heard a funny noise. I dismissed it as the cat playing with something on the floor, and as I turned the cake to smooth the other side down, the fondant had torn (taking my buttercream with it) right off from the top edge on the one whole side. So I peeled the rest of it off the cake, threw it in the garbage, sat down had a cry and started again.
The fondant on the top tier is a little lumpy since I didn't really have enough left after my disaster to roll it as thick as I would have liked, so I just stretched what I had.
Moral of the story...making cakes is easy, learning how to fix your mistakes is the hard part!

Thanks for looking!!

9 replies
mixinvixen Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 10

beautiful job!! looks like the classes were a reall success!!!

the only thing i see that might affect the overall stability or appearance is the size of the bottom cake board...those flowers are so beautiful that it would be a shame for them to be chipped or broken in transport. once again,definitely a job to be proud of!!

atlantacake Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 10

Very nice!!! I can't wait to take the classes.

Meemawfish Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 10

Beautiful cake and I love the flowers. icon_biggrin.gif

lifonahil Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:49am
post #5 of 10

Wow how beautiful.

xstitcher Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:59am
post #6 of 10

Great job on the cake!!!

I was going to suggest though that if you ever have this problem again you can just reuse the fondant if it hasn't dried out yet. If you have a lot of bc on the fondant you could always take some of it off. Just rework the fondant and roll it out again. It will absorb the bc.

JaLa90016 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:23am
post #7 of 10

you did an awesome job!!!! I love your flowers, they are beautiful. I am glad that you didn't give up.

Keep up the good work!!!

cakes21 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 10

Oh wow, what a wonderful job. We never did something like that in our Wilton classicon_sad.gif

cathyfowler662 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 10

Wow, what a great job! As a Wilton instructor, those flowers aren't even in the lesson plan! Your instructor must not follow the lesson plans, but I LOVE, LOVE the flowers!!

Tinaweena197 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyfowler662

Wow, what a great job! As a Wilton instructor, those flowers aren't even in the lesson plan! Your instructor must not follow the lesson plans, but I LOVE, LOVE the flowers!!

Thanks everybody!! I didn't know I could just scrape the buttercream off and re-use the fondant! I will keep that in mind for sure haha.

Our instructor didn't teach us those flowers in the course. She did stick to the lesson plans, but I wanted to know how to do them, so I taught myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%