Tires For Monster Truck Cake This Weekend

Decorating By Irishnurse Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 8:25pm by piratemom21

Irishnurse Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 5

Help I have looked at so many pictures of monster truck cakes and I need help with the tires what is the best way to make them sturdy and smooth all at the same time? I have used rice krispie treats in the past and they look bumpy. icon_rolleyes.gif

4 replies
Misdawn Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 5

Have you tried chocolate covered doughnuts with a dowel through the middle of each one? (Kinda' looks like it was speared or something.) Then the next layer will be resting on the dowels and not the doughnuts.

Honeychild Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, I have used doughnuts as well for a monster truck cake I made for my son. It is posted in the gallery. I found that the 'cruller' donut was the best because it looks like it has treads. I couldn't find chocolate doughnuts the day I needed them but you could glaze them with chocolate which I didn't think of at the time. I just iced the tires to the cake with buttercream but the dowel idea is perfect. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, I got the doughnuts at Tim Horton's or if you are in the States, I'm sure Duncan Doughnuts would have them!

mamacc Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 5

I like rice krispie treats for tires. You can roll them on the table to smooth out the bumps and then use a thick layer of fondant or whatever you are using to cover them with.... Personally I like modeling chocolate for tires.

piratemom21 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 5

I have used rice krispie treats shaped into tires then covered with a smoothing layer of buttercream and left to dry for a bit, then covered with fondant (I use a chocolate mm then colour it black from there) and trimmed with silver for the "hubs". I have also used oreo cookies and wagon wheels for tires - or any kind of cookie depending on the size you need. Simply layer them with buttercream to the desired thickness and then smooth on a layer of buttercream and cover with fondant. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination - in fact, I'm doing my first 3D car today - a 1970 Roadrunner for Hubby's 50th modeled after the actual car sitting in the garage - but I have found this method works for me on regular "flat" cakes. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%