Yep I Cheated ;)

Lounge By cakesdivine Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 6:59am by CakeMommyTX

cakesdivine Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #1 of 13

icon_twisted.gif Okay, I admit it...this Turkey day I cheated! At the last minute my adult kids decided they were coming to my house for Thanksgivng (after weeks of them telling me they had other plans) So the night before I have to go shopping to feed 7 after I thought I was just going to deal with 3, in fact we had decided to go to a restaurant that was open and serving T-day meals instead of cooking. But with my girls coming and their boyfriends as well, there was no way I was gonna be able to do the restaurant thing, especially after my girls had bragged so much about the family recipe for cornbread dressing. Well our local grocery store HEB had a special that if you bought one of their fully cooked turkeys you got 7 other items (all things necessary for a T-day dinner) free! So I bought the turkey and it was actually really good! It made the day go much easier especially since I made 5 different pies from scratch, candied yams, broccoli rice casserole, green beans, green bean casserole, 36 scratch rolls, cornbread dressing, & fruit salad. I really didn't have the time or the oven space to have a turkey cooking for hours on end! So there...I feel better now that I have confessed my culinary sin... icon_lol.gif

12 replies
ncdessertdiva Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:05am
post #2 of 13

I wouldn't call that cheating. . . I'd call it SuperMom, you still came through with a great meal for your kids!
Leslie

barbaranoel Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 13

We have the pre cooked turkeys at Kroger and they are actually pretty good. We put together whole meals starting at 34.99 and go up to 69.99 based on how big the turkey is and the number of sides including dinner rolls and fresh baked apple pies.

I bought one last year when we found out we were having extra people for dinner so I took one home and it was really good.

In fact, we just marked them down to sell thru the last of them we had thawed out and I bought one for dinner this week.

Barb

indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 13

Heck, I cook food for a living and we had our thanksgiving catered by Bob Evans! Same money and zero work!! Real turkey and good 'ole Bob Evans "home" cookin'! It was delicious and we were surprised that we even had leftovers!! Hubby complained about it "wasn't the same!" and we just kept asking him, "What are YOU planning on cooking?"

I was just too tired and too busy to cook for free! And why is it "cheating" for we women to sit around and enjoy a holiday like the guys get to! I rarely see a guy in the kitchen all hours of the day, standing on their feet! And don't EVEN give me the example of the guys who are in charge of deep frying the bird! They throw it in a pot and chug down a few beers while it's cooking! I dont' see them peeling and mashing potatoes, making pies or cakes, or any side dishes. But good lord, give a man an outdoor cooking arena, let him cook THE MEAT and he thinks he's made the whole dinner! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm tired of the view that if we "women" don't do it the way the pioneer women did it, then we're "cheating"! I say take your power and cheat away!

Those who don't like it ... hand them the apron and turn over the kitchen to 'em! thumbs_up.gif

GI Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:23am
post #5 of 13

Heh heh, you guys are funny. I didn't have to do any cooking this year. And my SIL took pity on me and brought over a plate of THEIR leftovers! thumbs_up.gif It was perfect for me! icon_biggrin.gif

(am recovering from shoulder work...)

(edited to add: oh yeah, and today's my birthday. I decorated a cake but I only have film camera, so the upload has to wait!)

ceshell Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:39am
post #6 of 13

Amen to that Debi!!!

shelbur10 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:56am
post #7 of 13

Amen, Debi! My DH wandered into the kitchen while I was peeling potatoes and asked if I needed help. Before he knew it, he had peeler in hand, a pile of potatoes and a wife who had disappeared!

KatieKake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #8 of 13

I do a big Thanksgiving dinner, with all the trimmings, my DH says come Christmas, something simple, that I spent all day Thanksgiving, I shouldn't have to do it at Christmas. We have ham, cheese, beans, rolls, fruit salad, meat balls, (get them at Sam's) and call it good. Not much work, we use paper plates too.

dldbrou Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:10am
post #9 of 13

This year since I quit my real paying full time job, I was able to do some of the prep work the day before. I cut up all the veggies and bagged them separately, cut up all the fruits for a fruit salad and added the liquor. So the next morning I was able to have my new DIL come over and I had everything under control and taught her how to make rice dressing, cajun style. We took our time and even visited while cooking. She said that this was unbelievably easy to do. My dh did fry a turkey and yes he thinks he did all the work for the meal. Since I did Thanksgiving, my DIL is taking over Christmas at her new house. Her parents are driving in from Maine and will be staying with them and I get to be a guest for once and not the chef. I predict that I will be going back and forth to my house for supplies so that she can pull it off. We only live a couple of blocks away. When she sees how hard it is to time manage a full meal, then she will understand why cooking solo is so tiring. I love to cook, but I am so exhausted for the next two days and do not want to look at food.

SugarFrosted Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:30am
post #10 of 13

The past few years my husband and our son and I have gone to a very nice hotel buffet for Thanksgiving, because cooking a big meal for 2 or 3 people ends up with leftovers forever. We have always been pleased and satisfied with the food at the hotel, That being said, this year, I decided to make some "leftovers" in advance, but only a few things that we really like. So on Wednesday, I made dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, gravy and pies.

We went to the hotel, had our dinner and were, for the first time, sort of unimpressed by the food. Later that night, we each had a plate of my pre-made leftovers, reheated in the microwave. We looked at each other and said at the same time "This is far better than what we had at the hotel." So next year, I will "cheat" too and get a smoked precooked turkey, and make our favorite sides. Heck, I might even do it again on Wednesday. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:31am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

When she sees how hard it is to time manage a full meal, then she will understand why cooking solo is so tiring. I love to cook, but I am so exhausted for the next two days and do not want to look at food.

icon_lol.gif I remember when my daughter took Thanksgiving for the first time. You remember how excited we all are when we get to host our "first" family thanksgiving, right? Well, at the end of the day, she told me, "Mom, you can have it back! I can't do this every year!" Her feet, her back, every muscle in her body ached and hurt, plus she was icon_surprised.gif tired!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Live and learn, babycakes! Live and learn!!

Deb_ Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:57am
post #12 of 13

I wish I had cheated..........my Thanksgiving may have been more enjoyable.

I was up til 1:30 a.m. the night before prepping veggies, stuffing, etc., than woke up at 5 a.m. to put the 28 lb. turkey in the oven.
Had 22 for dinner......and never got to sit down for more than 10 minutes the entire day.

I didn't enjoy my "Thanksgiving" meal until I warmed up the leftovers on Friday.

So right about now, "cheating" sounds like a very good idea for next year.

CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:59am
post #13 of 13

I love HEB and their meal deals!
We did'nt do the Turkey one but I've bought the fully cooked brisket and it's not too shabby.
I did get my 15lb turkey for 4 bucks though and that made my day (once again I love HEB)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%