Where To Buy Vanilla Online?

Decorating By moxey2000 Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm by lecrn

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 20

Hi everyone. My computer died a month ago and now that I have it back all of the websites I had saved are gone icon_cry.gif . I've tried searching, but there are thousands of posts with the word vanilla in them. Not long ago there was a post that addressed favorite vanilla brands and where to get them. I like Nielsen Massey and I buy it in the 32oz bottle from chefscatalog.com. Someone on here suggested another site that was much cheaper, but I can't find it. Any help will be much appreciated thumbs_up.gif . Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:47am
post #2 of 20

If you buy your own beans (I buy mine on ebay, great price) make your own vanilla extract, it is even better than Nielsen Massey, which is pretty good, BTW.

I don't think you'll be able to find a better grade / quality than making your own extract and can't beat the price. Let me know if you are interested on instructions on how to make your own.

Regarding the thread you can't find, sorry, have no clue ... good luck!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #3 of 20

I think this might be the place.. I get mine there: http://www.surfasonline.com/productlines/186.cfm

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:03am
post #4 of 20

nefgaby, how do you make your own vanilla extract? Please, do tell!!
Leslie

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 20

I started my first bottles of vanilla about 5 months ago!!! I love love love it!! Can't get enough of it!!!

I buy the vanilla beans online through Amazon (company is something like JR Mushrooms, etc). They have wonderful prices!! I can get about 20 beans for around $19!!!. Then all I do is buy a fifth of vodka... shove some beans in the bottle and I let it sit in the closet for around 3-5 months. Some say it is good shortly after you start but the longer you let it sit, the BETTER it is!! I know some use bourbon also but I like the vodka. You can do a search on this site or on the web for lots of good info!! I won't ever go back to store bought vanilla!!!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 1:08am
post #6 of 20

Thanks everybody! The surfasonline site is the one I was looking for, and I'm also going to try making my own. That price on Amazon is great, a friend of mine just paid $12 for one bean at Publix!! We're going to go in together and get beans and make the vanilla.

Thanks again!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:53am
post #7 of 20

Sorry for the late reply (I haven't been getting notifications from CC).

Anyway, I buy 40 "extract grade B" vanilla beans from ebay for $12, free shipping. For every bottle of vodka (75ml) you are supposed to use 40 beans. Cut them in 3rds and then lenght wise to expose the little "seeds". Add a Tbsp of super fine sugar and let sit for at least 1 month in a dark and cool place, shake everyday. Better if you use a darker bottle, not clear. I buy Skyy vodka, so the blue bottle is perfect.

I've tried several methods and by far this is the best and easiest. I know 40 beans sounds like a lot but trust me, turns out amazing every time! Very important, must be EXTRACT GRADE B Vanilla Beans. They are cheaper and makes the best vanilla. I tried once with the "fancy" expensive ones and it is not as good as the cheaper kind.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions. icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:35am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

I think this might be the place.. I get mine there: http://www.surfasonline.com/productlines/186.cfm

Well, it appears they only sell the Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract by the gallon now. It's much cheaper, of course, but that's a lot of Vanilla~! Does anyone know of another supplier that sells quarts? Thanks..

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 20

nefgaby - I just received my beans in the mail. I have the fifth of vodka - and the beans are all stuffed in there. Now, do you strain the vanilla before you use it? (I can see LOTS of little beans floating around in there!) I won't mind it being like that in the cake mix, but I am thinking not so much in the icings.....what do you do? AND - do you add more vodka to this as it is used? Or do you just toss those beans when you are done with that fifth and start all over with fresh? Thanks for your help on this.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 20

Wow, now I want to make my own vanilla too!!!

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 20

Do you think it would be possible to make a "double strength" vanilla with the homemade? Would it just be twice the amount of beans in the vodka?

Does the brand of vodka affect the end product? Can I get away with a cheapo bottle or am I better off investing in the good stuff?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 20

Here is a great site...

www.vanillafoodcompany.ca

Loucinda Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 20

I bought madagascar grade "B" beans on ebay for a fraction of the amount they have them for. They were nice and flexible, and plumb full of beans! My vanilla is only a few days old and is already dark and delicious smelling! icon_biggrin.gif
I also bought the "medium grade" vodka, not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either.

I can't wait to be able to try it!!

My DD went to Cozumel and brought me back some clear real vanilla too. It isn't perfectly clear, and it has some whole beans in it - (NO coumarin) I will try it later this week too. I always thought it was artificial if it wasn't brown? (or am I naieve here??) This is a very light color - and it smells really good too.

CookieMakinMomma Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:20pm
post #14 of 20

Ok, I don't know whether to be jealous that you found nearly-clear real vanilla or that your hubby just got back from Cozumel! Maybe that's why the sun is finally shining in Ohio! Tell him I say thank you for the warm weather. icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 20

It was my Daughter! icon_wink.gif (NO WAY would I let my DH go without ME!!) icon_biggrin.gif

The brand name on the bottle is Totonac - website is www.vanillatotnacs.com

CakesByLJ Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:42pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Here is a great site...

www.vanillafoodcompany.ca

Thanks Kiddiekakes~! Unfortunately, they are a lot more expensive than Surfas icon_sad.gif Fortunately, I have found someone who is going to split the gallon with me.. icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the help though~!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 20

I never really thought of making my own vanilla extract or that it would be so easy! We went to Cozymel last year & bought 2 huge bottles & I've already used them up.

CookieMakinMomma Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:04pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

It was my Daughter! icon_wink.gif (NO WAY would I let my DH go without ME!!) icon_biggrin.gif

The brand name on the bottle is Totonac - website is www.vanillatotnacs.com

lol that's what I get for typing faster than I read! I'm so used to seeing DH instead of DD. Thanks for the website I'll check it out right now!

There's no way I'd let DH go to Mexico without me either! We honeymooned in Cancun and miss it all the time. My parents met in Cozumel and I've always wanted to go there too, although I hear the place they met is no longer open. I'm not surprised, I don't think there is much demand for the El Hippopotamus Disco these days! icon_lol.gif

lecrn Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:06pm
post #19 of 20

duplicate post icon_redface.gif

lecrn Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm
post #20 of 20

Anyway, I buy 40 "extract grade B" vanilla beans from ebay for $12, free shipping.

Do you remember the supplier that you bought them from?
I saw a supplier on ebay that sells 1/2 lb beans for $12 (plus shipping).
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%