Wilton Gum Paste Flower Kit?

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 9:21am by Frankyola

BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:13am
post #1 of 8

I have the opportunity to buy the Wilton Gum Paste flower kit at 40% off, and was wondering if I wil find the pieces useful.

I have never made flowers, and want to start. I just want to make sure that I am getting the best/easiest tools.

Thanks!
Leigh
LL

7 replies
rocketmom1985 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:30am
post #2 of 8

I just purchased this kit myself, with a 50% off coupon from Michaels. I will be taking the Wilton 3 course in January, and I thought this would be a great way to practice ahead of time. From what I have read, many prefer metal cutters vs the plastic ones in the kit, but for a beginner, I thought it was ok and affordable for now. The complaint on plastic was that the edges were not "crisp". I was planning on playing with it this weekend.

kakeladi Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:32am
post #3 of 8

I think it will be worth it. Yes, there are some who will say start w/the best you can afford - usually meaning a few metal ones - but I still occasionally use my Wilton plastics icon_smile.gif

Amia Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:49am
post #4 of 8

I have this set. I am actually one of the few who kinda like Wilton products and there is nothing wrong with this set. I think it's best to start out with this set anyway, since it's cheap, to see if you even like making gumpaste flowers. If you do, then you can start buying better quality cutters and such. If you don't, then it wasn't a huge loss. thumbs_up.gif

BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:53am
post #5 of 8

Great...thanks for the advice! I think I will go ahead and buy it with one of my many 40% Michael's coupons. I have used my others on a cake spinner, fondant cutters, and gum paste tool kit. icon_smile.gif

I feel like kid in a candy store everytime I walk in the door.

Too bad they don't have all of the online stuff that the other stores have.

Next item on the wish list: clay gun....

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #6 of 8

This is a great kit for beginners. Not everyone likes working with gumpaste but those who do graduate to the more expensive cutters and tools. Also Wilton likes the "wrap" method whereas most other instructors teach a different method. But for beginners it's a great place to start. Have fun with it! icon_biggrin.gif

higginspeg Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:09am
post #7 of 8

I bought this set thinking it was going to be really great for me. It's okay, in my opinion, especially getting started. Plastic is harder to get clean edges with, but if you kind of press and move it carefully back and forth a tiny bit, you'll get a cleaner cut. I bought this set about three months ago and I'm already looking for metal. Thing is, when finding videos on how to do the orchid, the cutters from that set aren't usually the ones that they use in the videos - the videos have three different cutters and veiners.

Frankyola Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:21am
post #8 of 8

I have it and I love it, I never take classes before and I been making flowers and they look pretty good, IT WORTH IT thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%