Satin Ribbon Staining

Decorating By Banana0501 Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 3:08am by nesweetcake

Banana0501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Banana0501 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 7

Is there a trick to make certain that satin ribbon on buttercream doesn't absorb the oils from the butter. I've tried dusting the area with powdered sugar and another time with cornstarch, but neither helped. Each time I've made sure that the frosting is firm and hard. Thanks for sharing.

6 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 7

I have read that if you iron the ribbon between wax paper it helps. I just spray pam ,or something like it, on the ribbon. that way it stays the same color. hth icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 7

You do know that you really shouldn't be using fabric ribbon on a cake anyway, right? Fondant ribbon is food safe. However if you are going to use satin ribbon anyway, spray it with Pam as the PP said, or "line" it with clear packing tape.

Banana0501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Banana0501 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 7

Leahs - Thank you. No I hadn't thought about that and will make fondant ribbon instead. Thank you.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 7

Chocolate clay also works well for ribbons, and if you need a metallic look it works better with the luster dusts than fondant does.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 7

If you coat the entire ribbon with oil or shortening before applying it, the entire ribbon will discolor evenly ... no splotching. However, you need to watch the colors as some will darken way more than you want it to. I had one a couple of weeks ago that was navy blue ... once I crisco-coated it, it turned black. So I just waited until the next day, when the cake icing had crusted and applied the ribbon then. No grease spots at all.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:08am
post #7 of 7

I have ironed the ribbon between the wax paper, but even though the icing has crusted I still got grease spots bleeding through. Now I just pipe a thin line of royal around the center of where the ribbon goes, acts like the glue to help hold it on and keeps it slightly elevated away from the sides of the cake and now no more grease spots. But I still do iron it between the wax paper. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%