Delima, What Do I Say To Client

Decorating By marriedtoagreek74 Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 10:18pm by 7yyrt

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 13

Hi,

I have a cake that I am delivering tomorrow, it's lemon with raspberry filling. I baked twice 2"x12" layers for a 4" high cake. Well the first one I baked ha a little too much liquid and although it tastes good and moist it's dense in comparison to the second one ( I was a little more careful after seeing the first one.) I feel that I should say something o her when I deliver it to her. What do you all think?
She is part of an American Women's Club that I go to and ordered from me on advice from another group member. I usually don't have this problem and definitely don't want to alienate one of the few American's where we live!icon_smile.gif

I would love some advice on how to handle this. They both taste great, but there is a difference in density of the layers, not as fluffy.

Thanks ahead got to head off to bed will check in the AM. icon_smile.gif

icon_mad.gif

12 replies
Mike1394 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 13

I know this won't help now. If your not satisfied with the outcome of the cake, you should bake another.

Mike

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 13

Often times customers won't notice faux pas like the decorators do. Unless it's very glaring, I wouldn't say anything and just learn from the mistake and go on. If they say something then you can address it. Otherwise I wouldn't bother pointing it out to them.

tdybear1978 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with bobwonderbuns, I would say that 95% of the time when I have had a similar experience the customer has NOT noticed and usually they rave about the cake. The one's that do, I apologize and offer a discount on a future order. If they both taste fine I would not worry, especially since they will not be eating one layer at a time, they will probably not notice a thing

klisar Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 13

I agree with tdybear and bobwonderbuns. As one who has always been designated as the cake cutter at family weddings, one will not notice from one cake layer to another once its cut and served.

stephaniescakenj Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #6 of 13

yea I did that last week. I added an extra teaspoon of cinnamon to one layer, 3tsps instead of 2tsp. It was visibly darker and I was worried about it being too overpowering but I tasted a teeny bit and it tasted ok to me so I let it go. They never noticed! icon_cool.gif

all4cake Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:13am
post #7 of 13

If you decide to use the layers as is, alternate them...dense, fluffy, dense, fluffy...so that the difference isn't as noticeable.

kakeladi Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:21am
post #8 of 13

.......If you decide to use the layers as is, alternate them...dense, fluffy, dense, fluffy...so that the difference isn't as noticeable.......

Excellent suggestion! icon_smile.gif

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks everyone. Sorry I am not getting back until now but I had four cakes due today (my most ever for a day, I am small at home, for now) otherwise I definitely would have baked another cake. I don't like when I receive subpar work and definitely would not give it to someone if at all possible.

I dropped them off and she thought they looked great, so hopefully it will go unnoticed. I did alternate the layers as some had suggested.

Maybe one of these days my husband will show me how to make an image smaller so that I can upload some pics, that's the only thing that I can think of that they won't upload because the cookies did fine.

Anyway, off to bed again, I am beat!

JenniferMI Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 13

As long as they both taste great, I would let it slide this time. But, in the future, your reputation is based on what you deliver...keep that in mind. If you have time to redo, always redo someething that is not up to par.

Best wishes...

Jen icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

yea I did that last week. I added an extra teaspoon of cinnamon to one layer, 3tsps instead of 2tsp. It was visibly darker and I was worried about it being too overpowering but I tasted a teeny bit and it tasted ok to me so I let it go. They never noticed! icon_cool.gif

I am cinnamon freak.
My motto:
If a little is good a lot is better. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think anyone could detect the difference between two and three teaspoons in a cake, taste wise. Except that three or four teaspoons would taste even better.

Cayenne pepper? Yeah you gotta measure careful. Cinnamon, no not so much.

icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 13

For resizing pictures, try http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

7yyrt Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 13

For resizing pictures, try http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%