Would You Design A Cake Made By Another Baker????

Decorating By KKC Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 4:20am by KKC

KKC Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 34

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a blessed, delicious and safe Thanksgiving....

I need advice and I'm staying opened minded...so here goes.

I had a fellow baker call me yesterday at about 3pm because she is making a wedding cake for a friend, which is due today icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif She has never made a wedding cake before and she has no idea how to decorate it. I asked her did she bake any of the cakes "No" i had too many other cakes to bake icon_confused.gif I asked her why didn't you bake them ahead of time and freeze them...."i didn't have time". If this is your friend and its her first wedding why would you tell her you'd make the cake and you didn't have time. The problem with this lady is that she had dollar signs in her eyes. She knew that she'd have a bunch of cakes to make for Thanksgiving and she still agreed to do her friends wedding cake...which by the way is suppose to feed 300 people. So she called and asked me if i could make the fondant and cover all the cakes and decorate them for her. I told her that the fondant that i usually make, i let it rest for 24-48 hours before i use it. So she said that she would go and buy the Wilton fondant...ughh icon_confused.gif I would've said yes but she said something that didn't sit right with me. She said that she was putting "her name" out there and she wanted the cake to be beautiful. So thats letting me know that she is going to take all the credit when all she did was bake the cake (which isn't all that hard). I'm not trying to make it seem like my cakes are drop-dead beautiful...but i do take pride in what i do and i don't know if i want someone to take all the credit for something i did.

So i guess i'm asking you guys should i have put my pride aside and helped her or what?? I feel bad for the girl thats getting married because we all know that when people go to a wedding the hottest topics are the brides dress and the wedding cake.

33 replies
bettinashoe Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 34

Based on what you've stated, I wouldn't have done it either. We all know how Wilton fondant tastes. Your help could really turn into a double edged sword. I can see her taking credit for the cake and then turning it into your project when people complain about the fondant.

Funny, I just got an order from a lady who also bakes and I could tell from the things that she was saying that she was going to take credit for the cake. It was something I never really thought about before but she made it so obvious as we got deeper into the details of what she wanted on the cake, so I put some little touches in that she won't be able to explain--I put a large sugar cookue in between the cake layers and other little touches that she will be hard pressed to explain how she made.

terrylee Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 34

What was she thinking........ Sounds like she has a "I'm good and can do anything attitute..."

My first priority would be the wedding cake. You can get thru Thanksgiving without a cake.....

What a spot to put you in.......I would do the cake but I would contact the bride and let her know what's going on and confirm everything with her. Wilton Fondant....ugh I would suggest to the bride a buttercream icing. You may have to change the design of the cake but it would be well worth it.

Good luck......That's money in your pocket.......

Jenn2179 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 34

I would run as fast and as far away from this one as I could.

butterfly831915 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 34

I would skip this one too. Sure she takes the credit but then if someone complains or gets sick who would it be on then? I'd either tell her to contact the bride and give her your number or nope can't do.

kelleym Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 34

No. Besides the obvious issue that she is going to take credit for your work; there is a LOT more to doing a wedding cake than just decorating (proper height, leveling, resting, etc). The one time I agreed to decorate someone else's cake, this is what it ended up looking like. Would you want your name attached to this?
LL

Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 34

I too would say Sorry but No....The lady should have never agreed to do her friends cake if A...she didn't have time and B....she can't decorate!! Who in their right mind would take on such a task!! I think this is a recipe for dissaster!! I too feel bad for the Bride but really..It isn't your problem and not worth ruining or damaging your repuataion over!!

KKC Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

What was she thinking........ Sounds like she has a "I'm good and can do anything attitute..."

My first priority would be the wedding cake. You can get thru Thanksgiving without a cake.....

What a spot to put you in.......I would do the cake but I would contact the bride and let her know what's going on and confirm everything with her. Wilton Fondant....ugh I would suggest to the bride a buttercream icing. You may have to change the design of the cake but it would be well worth it.

Good luck......That's money in your pocket.......

The problem with that is those thanksgiving cakes were paid orders and she had to get those out....

This job would've been a freebie...she was like "you do this favor for me and i'd make you a cake in return icon_confused.gif Uhmm no thanks..have you forgotten that i make cakes also! She is very money hungry & selfish..did i forgot to mention she is one of my aunts best friends! I would never take on a job knowing that I cannot live up my clients expectations. I'd tell them that my calendar is booked and i'd refer them to someone else that i know will do a good job!!![/quote]

KKC Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

No. Besides the obvious issue that she is going to take credit for your work; there is a LOT more to doing a wedding cake than just decorating (proper height, leveling, resting, etc). The one time I agreed to decorate someone else's cake, this is what it ended up looking like. Would you want your name attached to this?

I agree completely...had this cake been leveled properly i bet it would've been gorgeous.

I know for a fact that you cannot throw together a wedding cake in less than 24 hours. All types of things could go wrong and she would have no time to repair the cake. I'm praying for the brides sake that the cake turns out ok.

rockytop Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 34

I would not . TOOO many things can go wrong, and if they do they are going to place the blame on you. Taking credit for someone elses work is just wrong. Just say NOOOOO, you will feel better when you go to sleep.

candynumber1 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

I would run as fast and as far away from this one as I could.

RUN, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! THIS SHOULD BE A LESSON TO HER
NOT TO PLAN SO MUCH FOR THE SAME DAY.

bettinashoe Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:49pm
post #12 of 34

Kivia, can't you just tell her the same thing--your schedule is full? Aunt's friend or not, I just would run from this one.

FromScratch Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 34

Run away.. and FAST. I wouldn't do it for all the tea in China. I'd feel bad for the bride, but there's no way I am allowing someone to put their name on something I did, and there's also no way I am decorating something I didn't bake. Too many things can go wrong.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 34

If you do this as a business, then my answer would have been no from the start.

Add to that, there is just too much that can go wrong. If the cakes made someone sick you could get some of the blame. If they cakes were bad tastintg I bet she'd change her story on her making them. Not to mention the structure issues that were already mentioned.

The only way I would have said yes if someone came to me with this request was if I was doing the whole thing, and my name was going to be attached to the cake. Oh and I was getting paid for it!

I think you made the right choice. Especially if she is trying to get her name out there. Having someone else decorate your cake is as bad as displaying pictures on your web site that you didn't do. This is one of those things that you don't walk but run from!

As far as her friend not having a nice wedding cake, chances are if they are really friends, she knows that this woman hasn't done a wedding cake before. And if it is free, well then can she really complain about what it looks like? It isn't our place to go above and beyond to make sure everyone gets a nice cake on their wedding day just because they trusted someone they knew to make the cake and that person isn't up to speed.

sweetcakes Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 8:10pm
post #15 of 34

sorry, her problem is not your problem. you either do all the cake or none of it. to make a cake for 300 the day before is impossible.

newmansmom2004 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

sorry, her problem is not your problem. you either do all the cake or none of it. to make a cake for 300 the day before is impossible.

Agree 100%. It's her problem, not yours. Don't do it.

KKC Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 8:42pm
post #17 of 34

Thanks everyone...she called me again today a few hours before the wedding icon_eek.gif and i told her NO. Its crazy because she is suppose to be attending this wedding and making the cake. Some kind of friend she is...oh well like you guys said her problem not mine icon_wink.gif No sweat off my back. I'm going to go and enjoy my last few days off...i have a hot date with a very cute 7 year old who calls me Mommy thumbs_up.gif

cakesdivine Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 11:53pm
post #18 of 34

icon_eek.gif OMG! She waited until a few hours before the wedding to see if you would be able to do this for her? What a loon! She get's what she deserves. I feel for the bride but again on the other hand if the cake for the bride was a freebie, well you know the saying..."you get what you pay for" and if you pay nothing for a wedding cake you may just end up with nothing. icon_wink.gif The bride is just as responsible for the "no cake" or possible, crap cake thrown together by a non-decorator since her cake wasn't important enough to her to make sure all was a go.

terrylee Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:21am
post #19 of 34

I read through this again just now. I thought the wedding cake was a paid job and I was under the impression that it would be your cake from start to finish...

There is no way would I do all of that for a freebie.......trade off or no trade off.....You would probably never see your trade back. When you do a cake it is a reflection of you and your work........I don't even let the florist put flowers on my cakes.........

all4cake Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:42am
post #20 of 34

I wouldn't take on the task unless I just wanted to. I wouldn't do it so that she can "get her name out there". I wouldn't do it without her/him agreeing that my name is NOT to be attached to it regardless of how it turned out...good or bad. If he/she mentioned my name I'd have my lawyer contacted immediately. I wouldn't do it without he/she putting out ALL the money for product used.

If everything was agreed to, I would do it...with the statement, "This is the only time. Do NOT ask again!" repeated several times so that it was clear. It's one thing to help a fellow baker/decorator out in a pinch....I'm all for it. It seems like he/she knew he/she had taken on more than he/she could handle and was assuming he/she could call on someone(you) for help. That, more than anything else, would bother me.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

KKC Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:13am
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

I read through this again just now. I thought the wedding cake was a paid job and I was under the impression that it would be your cake from start to finish...

There is no way would I do all of that for a freebie.......trade off or no trade off.....You would probably never see your trade back. When you do a cake it is a reflection of you and your work........I don't even let the florist put flowers on my cakes.........

Hey everyone...just came back from my date lol...

Nope she's not getting paid for the cake only because she insisted that the bride let her do it (for free) just to get her name out there. I wish i could've went to the wedding to see the cake. icon_lol.gif Honestly, friend or no friend if you've never done a wedding cake before I'm not going to trust you to do it..no way, no how!

sari66 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #22 of 34

Gag, what a nightmare! Wish I could be a fly on the wall of that wedding!

Mac Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:29pm
post #23 of 34

Do not do this--coming from someone who just had this happen to them (See my post about "Chef friend"). Even tho' my was a paid order, it really irked me that he was taking credit for MY cake.

That cake "friend" of yours will be the one getting the orders...and what if she is asked to duplicate the cake that you made???

You can be supportive but I would not decorate a cake that someone else baked...what if, heaven forbid, someone got sick. She could claim, then, that you made the cake.

I had a couple of girls call (the bride and maid of honor) and inquire about my wedding cake prices. When they found out how much it cost, they decided to do it themselves (Good Luck) and asked if they could call me for advice and pointers. I told them "Sure, I'll be happy to talk you thru it...my fee for teaching is $25.00 an hour". Never heard from them again.

Stefy Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:34pm
post #24 of 34

I thought this person was your friend???

Mac Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:52pm
post #25 of 34

Some "friends" will stab you in the back to increase their business. On the other hand, I have MANY cake friends that have their own business and we talk, borrow, and collaborate on things. So be careful with the "friends".

Trixyinaz Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:11pm
post #26 of 34

Did she expect you to help/do this for free? And with such short notice? I'm sure she knew about her friend getting married months before taking all those Thanksgiving orders so she had a choice to decline some of those orders so she would have enough time to work on the wedding cake that she promised to do. She put herself into this situation. In no way, no how would I assist unless I was getting paid, and even then I'd be leary since it would technically be "my" cake and I'd be getting NO reconigtion.

As for your comment:

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, friend or no friend if you've never done a wedding cake before I'm not going to trust you to do it..no way, no how!

I'm glad not everyone thinks like you, otherwise I never would have gotten an order to do my first wedding cake, which they all LOVED. She had seen my other cakes and knew I could do it even tho I had never done "a wedding cake" before. Not everyone is like this lady that called you so cut the newbies some slack....we gotta learn some how, and most of us take pride in our work and know when to say no if the job is way over our heads. Just because someone hasn't done a specific cake before doesn't mean they can't do it. I'm sure this lady could decorate a wedding cake but it sounds like she is unorganized and didn't plan accordingly to make sure she'd get it done in time. For me, this cake would have been my top priority especially seeing she wanted to get "her name" out there. Some people are just clueless.

CarolAnn Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #27 of 34

I'm no pro, by a long shot, but I wouldn't do it. For one thing when I make a cake I do it all from start to finish. I get full credit or blame, whichever. Second, I won't take on that kind of pressure. Who needs it? A wedding cake the next day? Forget that happiness!! Poor planning on her part doesn't make it your responsibility as a friend to bail her out. No way!

indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 7:32pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

I'm sure she knew about her friend getting married months before taking all those Thanksgiving orders so she had a choice to decline some of those orders so she would have enough time to work on the wedding cake that she promised to do.

Abso-freakin'-lutely!

I had two nephews get married on Sat, 6-7-08, and the following Friday, 6-13-08. As you can imagine, with 6-7-08 being THE wedding date of the year, I had tons of inquiries ... I know for certain that I declined over 25 brides for that date. Both of these weddings were freebies, because they were family. Do the math .... 2 freebies inside of a 7 day period. I turned down lots of paying jobs because I was already committed to these two weddings.

And yes, I still had rent to pay and loan payments to make that month. So yes, she DID have a choice in the number of bookings she accepted based on her time availability.

KKC Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 9:04pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

Did she expect you to help/do this for free? And with such short notice? I'm sure she knew about her friend getting married months before taking all those Thanksgiving orders so she had a choice to decline some of those orders so she would have enough time to work on the wedding cake that she promised to do. She put herself into this situation. In no way, no how would I assist unless I was getting paid, and even then I'd be leary since it would technically be "my" cake and I'd be getting NO reconigtion.

As for your comment:

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, friend or no friend if you've never done a wedding cake before I'm not going to trust you to do it..no way, no how!

I'm glad not everyone thinks like you, otherwise I never would have gotten an order to do my first wedding cake, which they all LOVED. She had seen my other cakes and knew I could do it even tho I had never done "a wedding cake" before. Not everyone is like this lady that called you so cut the newbies some slack....we gotta learn some how, and most of us take pride in our work and know when to say no if the job is way over our heads. Just because someone hasn't done a specific cake before doesn't mean they can't do it. I'm sure this lady could decorate a wedding cake but it sounds like she is unorganized and didn't plan accordingly to make sure she'd get it done in time. For me, this cake would have been my top priority especially seeing she wanted to get "her name" out there. Some people are just clueless.

Yeah..i know that some newbies would do a good job even if they've never made a wedding cake before. Maybe i should chosen my words better icon_smile.gif Sorry if i offended any newbies it was not my intention. But what i should've mentioned was that the only cakes she really does is Poundcakes, brownies etc...she has NEVER decorated a cake before so there is nothing to go on. I would be completely understanding had i seen decorated cakes made by her but she doesn't decorate cakes at all she does is your typical red velvet, carrot, poundcakes that don't require much decorating. I know we all have to start somewhere but i think you should at least dabble into cake decorating before you attempt a wedding cake..don't shoot me icon_wink.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 9:19pm
post #30 of 34

No worries Kivia. Well, having not decorated any cakes, I'd be a little leary of having someone make my wedding cake too. Wish we could see the cake that she ended up producing. And seeing as she's never decorated a cake, I can see now why she was so unprepared. Perhaps she had no idea of the time involved making a wedding cake for 300 ppl and thought it would be a piece of cake....no pun intended. Hopefully she learned her lesson and will be a bit more realistic when volunteering/accepting an order like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%