First Wedding Cake! Help! Please! Please!

Decorating By terrier Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 6:37pm by CoutureCake

terrier Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding cake to do in about 4 months and I would really like some ideas/pictures...

Her colour is yellow and she is a simple kind of girl...so I think she has no idea and goes back and forth all the time with ideas.

I would like to send her more pictures to get a better idea, for me and her to come up with something perfect.

I have added a picture of the first cake she liked...and then didn't and then did...etc. (picture from her off the web)

She only needs 75 servings.

Any and all help welcome!

Cheers,
a
LL

6 replies
terrier Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 7

Hoping someone will help me icon_cry.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 7

I would go to the Wilton site or Earlene's and check out their serving size charts, shows how many pans make how many servings, how many tiers, etc. Then check out the galleries in here. I believe some of them are even split into color schemes. The cake you have pictured looks like a lot of workto me, what with the odd shap and height of the tiers. Just my opinion. icon_biggrin.gif

terrier Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 7

I know I really do not like that cake...for me icon_rolleyes.gif
Also she wants only buttercream!
Thanks!

1234me Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 7

have you looked here for ideas? You should look through all the sections, even colors that aren't yellow and you can just change the color scheme.

You can also look on www.theknot.com

Deb_ Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with the above, this site's galleries are an awesome place to start. BTW........the pic of that huge cake you posted, if all cake would serve way more than 75. Tell her she needs to consider either "dummy" tiers if she wants a cake that size or look for pics of smaller cakes.

CoutureCake Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 7

This is one where the gals on the business boards will give you some good advice icon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif ...

First is: Don't track this bride down as much as you are. You aren't getting paid nearly enough to be doing this much work already.

Next: Sit down and meet with her to design HER cake in person.. Start simple, SHAPE... show her your cake pans stacked up if you have to. Then ask her if she wants it all white or if she wants color added. If she wants color, then she needs to provide a paint swatch from the hardware store. If she wants flowers, they need to be provided by her/her florist, but YOU are the one who will put them into the cake (so that there are spikes and they aren't coming in contact with the cake)... Don't push because she's going to come up with a far easier design than that picture. Have HER bring you pictures of cakes she's seen and likes. She doesn't need to know WHAT she likes about them, you'll be able to pick up on that pattern quicker than she will. Tell her think of the cakes like they are a pattern for a dress, most everything can be changed to fit her size and colors. Usually it's the "simple" brides that are the most picky about what they want icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif , then there are those who just want "wedding cake" and are more than happy to hand over the details to you to show up with something and their happy as a clam because they didn't have to stress about it (and these brides are EXTREMELY rare!!!)...

Stop making yourself work so hard here. It's just not worth it! Your time is money!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%