Trick To Share For Getting Cupcakes Domed On Top.

Decorating By Lenore Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 2:40am by Melvira

Lenore Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 10

I am probably the last person here to figure this one out.

For very thin batters: fill liners just a bit over half full, stick pan into fridge for 30 min, then immediately transfer into preheated oven.

For thick batters: fill liner almost to top, place into fridge for 30 min, then immediately transfer into preheated oven. They do take 5-10 min longer to bake. No more flat cupcakes for me!!!

9 replies
JenniferMI Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 10

Interesting!

Thanks!

mommicakes Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the tip, have to try today, need to practice some stuff so this will work wonderfully. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 10

That's awesome! Another great trick is to preheat the oven to just a few degrees under what you want, then turn it up right as you put the cupcakes in. It's the initial burst of heat that 'sets' the outside edges so that they stay low and the cupcake is forced to dome up in the middle to allow room for all the expanding batter. Put those two tricks together and you'll probably have some awesome crowns!

JessDesserts Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 10

i have to pay attention to what Ive been doing because I get domed when I want flat and vice versa.

Thanks for the advice, im gonna try it.

icon_razz.gif

Lenore Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 10

Hey Melvira! I have heard of that one before yet it did not work for me. I think it is my cheap oven!! I am going to try the combination though right now. I have some cupcakes cooling off in the fridge!! I will let you know how it works. Thanks!!

Lenore Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 10

The combination of techniques (chilling and varying temp) was a bit too much. The cupcakes were pointed in the center, rather than just domed. icon_sad.gif

Bzer Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks ...what temp for the oven?

Lenore Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 10

I use 350 F for both chocolate, white and yellow buttercakes made from scratch.

Melvira Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:40am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore

The combination of techniques (chilling and varying temp) was a bit too much. The cupcakes were pointed in the center, rather than just domed. icon_sad.gif

Oh no!! Well, if you're ever trying to make torpedo cupcakes, you know how to do it! icon_lol.gif I guess the fridge method is plenty on it's own! That's great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%