How Far Ahead Can I Marzipan /fondant?

Decorating By AlixsCakes Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 1:55pm by AlixsCakes

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:20am
post #1 of 5

icon_cry.gif
Hello
Can anyone help me?
I have ended up with about 6 cakes to make in the run up to Christmas this year. Mostly they are fruit cakes which I have now made. How far in advance can I cover with marzipan? I know to leave it a few days to dry before covering with fondant - but will it dry out if I do it over a week (or 2!) in advance? Can I do anything to stop that?

Can anyone also tell me how far in advance I can cover with the foundant. I'm doing one royal-iced which I know I can do in advance, but I've never covered with fondant more than a day before.

Thanks so much in advance . I work full time and I'm studying as well - I love doing the cakes as favours / a hobby but it's hard to fiteverything in the time! Any tips much much appreciated.

Thank you,
Alix

4 replies
SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:43am
post #2 of 5

hiya, im also from the uk and have some fruits cakes to do, if you marzipan them leave them a couple of days before you ice them so that it can dry out this can be done 2 weeks before if you like as the cake inside is fruit anyway, the nearer to cutting the cake the softer the icing will be.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 10:05am
post #3 of 5

Hi I did a christmas cake for a customer and I did marzipan and covered it in fondant and I put it in a box and gave it to her. icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 10:35am
post #4 of 5

You can start now...no problem. I marzipan and let sit in a covered box for a few days, them apply the sugarpaste. We were so busy last year that we didn't cut our cake until February when my SIL visited. It was still great. Your sugarpaste will crust slightly, but it doesn't affect taste /quality.

I have only one recommendation since your cakes will be sitting awhile. DON'T use cornflour to prevent sticking. Use either Trex (US brand name Crisco) or confectioners sugar. Occasionally cornflour can react with other ingredients and cause fermenting on cakes that are around more than a few days.

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 5

Brilliant - thanks so much for your help.
That's a relief, I can have one big 'marzipanning day', then they're all done. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%