post #1 of 26

is called to order.
Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

25 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:57am
post #2 of 26

I'm gelling wafer paper leaves for a cake for tomorrow. Other one is finished. I should NOT be up all night tonight! yeah.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 26

do you know you wrote october 28 up top? LoL you must be tired!!! I just finished making candy clay and fondant to decorate cupcakes tomorrow, just for fun tho.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:09am
post #4 of 26

HI everyone. I have a castle cake, a kung fu panda cake, and a 1st birthday sheet cake all due tomorrow. the panda one is done, yeah. I will probably be up all nite with the other two. icon_cry.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:09am
post #5 of 26

I am up! Just finished making fondant and fillings, now I am starting my SMBC. Hoping to get everything filled and iced tonight so I can go to bed by 2AM. Hoping for 2AM...

I will finish decorating tomorrow. 2 Wedding cakes due late afternoon tomorrow, first reception starts @ 4 and I'll need every minute after this fondant fiasco but everything is coming along nicely. Luckily the decorating isn't complicated.

I was just mulling over whether I should airbrush the fondant ribbon silver then put on the cake or paint it after it is on the cake. Any thoughts on that?

icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:10am
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLiLMissCupCake

do you know you wrote october 28 up top? LoL you must be tired!!! I just finished making candy clay and fondant to decorate cupcakes tomorrow, just for fun tho.

LOL fixed

When I worked at the bakery, it was the common joke that the pastry chefs NEVER knew what day it was. On Thursday we were doing Friday cakes, so it was Friday to us.

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:12am
post #7 of 26

lenettte, if you paint it, and then apply the rbbon, how are you gonna get it to the venue? Don't get me wrong, that's probably the way I'd do it, but I'd try to stack as much as possible at home and transport it all together. Of course, you'd need to be using SPS (or SFS).

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:12am
post #8 of 26

Proud to say guys that it is 7:12 here and I am jut checking in before GOING HOME! woo hoo! first pre 4am night since.... May.

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #9 of 26

Question for anyone - are you supposed to print on the slick side or the bumpy side of wafer paper? I can't say that I notice any difference in the final product, and I print on which ever side winds up face up in the printer. But I thought perhaps there is a preferred way of doing it.

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:18am
post #10 of 26

Kory!

Girl, you must sit in front of your computer for at least another two hours. Going home this early will be too much of a shock to your system!!!!!!

Seriously, put your feet up and then have a good night's sleep.

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:28am
post #11 of 26

I'm here! Not baking tonight, but tomorrow for tastings on Sunday. Lost my favorite peanut butter cream filling recipe, searching for a good replacement!

Lenette Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:29am
post #12 of 26

Kory- I am beyond jealous but happy for you! You should totally do something indulgent like go to bed! LOL!

LeahS- I almost always transport my cakes stacked. So, I am just trying to figure out the best way to do the ribbon, the cake will already be stacked regardless. I hope I am making sense my second dose of caffeine isn't working yet. LOL!

Okay cake is stacked (or will be), options are to airbrush ribbon then apply around the base of each tier OR apply ribbon then paint with silver luster.

Painting looks uneven to me, I can always see the brush strokes. Airbrush needs to dry and can still be sticky and mucked up when I put in on.

Sorry can't help with the wafer paper...

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:29am
post #13 of 26

I use 1 part peanut butter, 2 parts icing. Tastes pretty much like a buckeye.

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:31am
post #14 of 26

Airbrush dries almost instantly for me. Do you put on several thin coats? Is it the silver airbrush paint?

Lenette Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #15 of 26

Yes, it is the silver airbrush color.

I have just airbrushed it to the coverage I wanted then tried to apply. I didn't think about doing several thin coats. Sounds better though!

So, airbrush then go back and do again and it won't get all sticky? So, while letting the ribbons dry will it crack/tear when I am trying to get it around the cake? I need to put it on 6, 9, and 12 inch square tiers.

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:45am
post #16 of 26

Gosh, I don't think that I've actually airbrushed a ribbon. Didn't mean to mislead you, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I airbrush other stuff and it's ready to use in just a couple of minutes, even with several coats.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:46am
post #17 of 26

Hi! I'm going to start baking, I'm making WASC for a cake due Sunday morning, it's going to be a suitcase with a purse on top for a friend who is moving to AZ. icon_sad.gif I have no idea yet how it's going to be decorated I'll figure that out tomorrow, right now I just need to have the cakes baked and cooling. I'm really excited because it's the first time I'll be making SMBC instead of the high ratio shortening frosting, icon_biggrin.gif yey!!! (although I'm a little scared to ruin the whole batch)

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:57am
post #18 of 26

i haven't airbrush a ribbon either, but I just did a gold cake and I probally did 8 thin coats... uhh took forever to get even but looked good in the end. I think AB is like spraypainting. Light coats work better. Good luckicon_smile.gif

I am suppose to be making NFSC.. dough in fridge but im tired. Plus these are for my birthday invitations so while fun, i don't get the feeling of "oohhhh this is for someone else I HAVE to get it done." If i don't, ill just print invites lol.

Lenette Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:58am
post #19 of 26

No problem Leah!

Actually, I was thinking about your original post and if someone with your experience and expertise still has to pull all nighters sometimes I don't feel so bad! icon_biggrin.gif

I'll figure out the ribbon and make a final decision tomorrow morning after I sleep, either way it will get on there!

icon_wink.gif

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:59am
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2djb

I'm here! Not baking tonight, but tomorrow for tastings on Sunday. Lost my favorite peanut butter cream filling recipe, searching for a good replacement!

I've gotten rave reviews on this one:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
3 Tbsp milk or to consistency needed
2 cups confectioners sugar

Tastes just like the inside of a Reeses Peanut butter cup...Yum

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:00am
post #21 of 26

I'm actually a night person. I can't get anything done before noon. seriously.

pinkbox Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:02am
post #22 of 26

I have decided to slow down on cakes... Kid issues haha. But... still up wide awake on a Friday... go figure.

Just making sugar cookies for my 6 nieces and nephews staying with me ... along with my 4... very full house.

But thought it might be fun for them to decorate cookies tmw... keeps them busy... we made home made egg nog and a cookie cake.

(figure Aunt Kimmie has to load them up before sending them back home with their parents.... Payback...buddy... Payback)

pinkbox Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:03am
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I'm actually a night person. I can't get anything done before noon. seriously.

Im with ya there leah... even though I wake up like clock work at 6am every morning... most times because of a little one climbing into bed and waking me... but like I said clock work haha

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:05am
post #24 of 26

Thanks Leah! I know I can always count on you for help! That sounds great, can't wait to try it. I thought of you this week as I drove through Louisville... I went to Bowling Green to see my sister for Thanksgiving.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:09am
post #25 of 26

Hi there all!!

It is 7am here in S.A. and have just got onto the site for the first time in a long while..........what with them working on the site and all.

I have a request which I think I saw here on the FNCC a while back.
If I am not mistaken, somebody did small squares for a wedding, but can't remember who it was.
I have been asked about doing squares (145 of them, wow!!) and would like to go and have a look at them.
I have been into the site with mini cakes/petit fours, but haven't been thru all the pages just yet.

Thought I could jump the gun by asking here first.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:42am
post #26 of 26

hey there, I'm here. I actually closed my store for the weekend. But I did end up with 2 wedding cakes for saturday evening so I am working on those right now

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%