As A Owner / Chef What Would You Think?

Business By DisneyDreamer Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 4:15pm by julzs71

DisneyDreamer Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 8

I have been working at a restaurant (i should mention its a privet country club and they expect great and fancy) on the line and have finally gotten the chance to show i can do pastry. so here is my one and only chance to show off. its for a three course menu for a special party my only directions to make it chocolate. the first course is shrimp the third is chicken and the third is a beef. so i was thinking of doing a chocolate coffee cup and making a chocolate hazelnut espresso mousse to fill in the cup with a tuile spoon?

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 12:26am
post #2 of 8

I like it. What about making the tuille like a scroll as if it was the poof of steam off the 'espresso' and a nifty cute mini spoon. Like a mother of pearl spoon or something cool if you can find it.

I like it.

What about a little fruit something in the bottom of the cup like a banana flavor something fruity in there. I mean you can't go wrong with raspberry & chocolate either. A couple different coulis squiggles on the plate--just tossing out some ideas.

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 1:09am
post #3 of 8

There's something very similar in the Professional Pastry Chef books by Bo Friberg if you need any pictures.

DisneyDreamer Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:13am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I like it. What about making the tuille like a scroll as if it was the poof of steam off the 'espresso' and a nifty cute mini spoon. Like a mother of pearl spoon or something cool if you can find it.

I like it.

What about a little fruit something in the bottom of the cup like a banana flavor something fruity in there. I mean you can't go wrong with raspberry & chocolate either. A couple different coulis squiggles on the plate--just tossing out some ideas.

i love the fruit idea. chocolate and raspberry oh how i love the two. but for this i want to stay as far away as possible. but the fruit idea (maybe a blackberry or cranberry collie) i love it. and the steam so much kuter then the spoon love it icon_smile.gif and stealing it. and maybe a cream anglaise too for plating with the coolie inside with some kute design???

chutzpah Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:44am
post #5 of 8

Chocolate, orange and coffee is a lovely combination. Blood orange, if you can get them!

raspberry coulis (not collie.... that's a dog) paired up with chocolate.

I would definately have something a little tart in there. Chocolate and hazelnut can be delicious together, but after a big meal with shrimp and two meats it might be nice for something more refreshing and less sweet.

dinas27 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 8

I'm assuming that you are doing this soon - winter season anyway...

I would do something a little different and more seasonal. Chocolate hazelnut in a chocolate cup sounds very generic to me. If you really want to impress I would make it something people would remember.

I love the chocolate orange - I have been wanting to do something with orange forever and I constantly get that people do not like orange flavored things - I have no idea why!

I personally dislike anything served in a chocolate cup or chocolate collar. I think that it is hard to eat and too heavy for most desserts.

How about a mexican chocolate mousse? A chocolate tuile collar? Or alternating layers of cranberry mousse and dark chocolate mousse. The cranberry hidden inside the chocolate? Egg nog? Mint?

PinkZiab Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 8

I have to agree that while it'll be delicious, it sounds a little generic if you're looking to "wow" them. Personally I find the chocolate cup thing a little dated. I agree that a tart fruit or sauce accompaniment with whatever you choose is a good way to go, to cut the sweetness. Try to be as seasonal as possible with any fruit choice though--let them know you're conscious of it. Browse the dessert menus of some high-end restaurants online. You don't necessarily have to reinvent the wheel... there is a big trend on comfort desserts (chocolate cake, bread pudding etc,) with a twist--finding that twist is the key! And i do believe it makes a difference that it's a private country club... you have to know your clientele. They may want "grand and fancy" but that doesn't necessarily mean cutting edge, or new/different flavor combinations. The crowd may be totally old school and like classically fancy desserts, so definitely bear that in mind, since you know the types of diners your establishment gets better than I do. Good luck!

julzs71 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 8

how about a flourless chocolate cake with a dallop of slightly sweetened creme fraiche. Or if you are going to use the espresso chocolate use the creme fraiche as like the cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%