Chocolate Rolled Fondant Disaster

Decorating By Amberlea Updated 30 May 2013 , 12:24pm by leydavak

Amberlea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberlea Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 11

I pride myself on being an accurate recipe-follower, and attempted the recipe for Chocolate Rolled Fondant in the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum the other day, but had disastrous results. I found that it had a wonderful flavour, but it didn't have the same texture or pliability as her regular rolled fondant recipe. It was crumbly, so it said to add a bit of water at a time until the desired consistency is reached. I did that, but it just got stickier. I added shortening which made it less sticky, but that didn't help the pliability. I added a bit of glycerine on my hands to see if that would help, but it didn't. Nothing I did worked! It tastes amazing, not unlike a tootsie roll, and I loved the dark chocolate colour, but it sure didn't live up to the comment she made about it being her "proudest creation"! It was a big waste of ingredients, and I was extremely frustrated! I wonder if anyone has had success with this recipe, or has experienced the same results that I had. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve this recipe? Any help would be appreciated-I would really love a dark chocolate flavoured fondant recipe in my repetoire without having to buy it!!

I'll quickly jot down the ingredient list for those who might have more insight into the problem with the consistency.

1 tbsp gelatin
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup corn syrup
1 tbsp glycerine
1/4 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
6 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 cups + 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa (Dutch processed)

Thanks for you help!

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 11

I quit making my own fondant years ago. SatinIce chocolate tastes just like Tootsie Roll and I never have to worry about wasting ingredients, humidity, or the time it takes to make it. It's just not worth the $, time and trouble to make it when there are excellent products on the market.

And sorry, I don't know why the recipe didn't work. Most of her recipes are excellent.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 12:10am
post #3 of 11

I make my own fondant too...but not chocolate! I did one time and like you, it tasted amazaing and didn't have any stretch what so ever. So sorry this happened to you!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 12:20am
post #4 of 11

The Satin Ice Chocolate fondant is really good. It smells as good as it tastes. Definitely worth buying.

Amberlea Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll be buying Satin Ice from now on. I'll have to find someone near me that sells it...my next challenge!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 10:15am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberlea

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll be buying Satin Ice from now on. I'll have to find someone near me that sells it...my next challenge!

Try Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 11:57am
post #7 of 11

If you still want to make it yourself you can make chocolate MMF. You just add 1 square of melted chocolate to the melted MM's and then 1 tablespoon of cocoa to the pwd. Sugar. (you can add more to either step to make it darker) It tastes really good as well and it is easy.
Jen...

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 11

I also use the chocolate MMF recipe. It also tastes similar to a Tootsie-roll and I have found it very easy to work with. Try the recipe jen posted as I think you will be very happy with it. I use just the basic MMF recipe posted here that calls for marshmallows, flavoring, water, powdered sugar. Here's a recipe posted on CC by nefgaby that you may want to follow.

Serves/Yields: Enough to cover a 10" round cake by 4-5" tall
Prep. Time: 20 min
Cook Time:
Category: Fondant/Gumpaste/Sugarpaste
Difficulty: Easy

I put together this recipe with the help and tips of some CC members, so many thanks to Licia, PurplePetunia and Ellantehalima. Without them I would have never been able to do it and try home-made chocolate fondant. This is the reason I'm submitting this recipe so everybody can try it!!!

1 - 16 oz bag for Miniature Marshmallows
1/2 - 3/4 cup Milk Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet or dark)
2 Tablespoons of Water
1 teaspoons of Lorann Oil chocolate flavor OR chocolate-hazelnut flavor OR 2 teaspoons of your choice of extract
7 - 7 1/2 cups of sifted Confectioner's Sugar
1/2 - 1 cup of sifted Cocoa Powder
Shortening to grease bowls, spatulas, mixer attachments and your hands when kneading.

1. Melt marshmallows, chocolate chips, water and oil OR extract in microwave in a greased bowl. It takes anywhere form 2 1/2 min to 3 1/2 min. Do it 30 secs at the time and check.

2. In greased mixer bowl place the cocoa powder (amount you choose to use depends on how strong chocolate flavor you want) plus 3 - 3 1/2 cups of confectioner's sugar. This MUST total 4 cups. Add the melted marshmallow mix to this bowl.

3. Grease the paddle attachment of your mixer and start mixing on slow. Cover your mixer with a damp kitchen towel.
When mixed through change to the hook attachment, greased as well.

4. Start adding the extra confectioner's sugar one cup at the time until you find the desired consisntency of the fondant. Amount of sugar really depends on how humid it is. If you find it to be too sticky add a little more confectioner's sugar or if it's too dry add warm water, very little at a time.

5. Take out of the mixer bowl and knead for about 2-3 or until fondant is all together making a big ball. Consistency must be the same as regular MMF.

It might not be 100% smooth at first, you might feel little lumps of sugar, texture will improve if you let it rest overnight. I always let mine rest for at least one night.

To store, grease plastic wrap with shortening and cover the fondant air tight with it. Then place in ziploc bag, try to get all the air out as well.

Hope you like it, I found it be great and a great solution for all my chocolate fondant needs. Enjoy!!
Source:
Contributed by: nefgaby on Wednesday, November 22. 2006 at 15:17:41

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 11

I use Michelle Foster's fondant recipe and the chocolate version is wonderful. Great to work with.

Susan

Amberlea Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 11

thanks to everyone-you've been really helpful! I appreciate it, and I will try the chocolate mmf recipes the next time I need to make chocolate fondant!!

leydavak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leydavak Posted 30 May 2013 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 11

Hi,

After making the same recipe for chocolate fondant I feel that indeed, we shouldn't expect to be able to handle chocolate fondant in the same way as we handle regular white fondant. After many attempts at trying to roll it out without breakage or wrinkles, I realized that the only way to work with it nicely was to place it between two sheets of wax paper and to roll directly on top of the paper. This trick worked nicely! Once it was time to place it on the cake, I had to be extremely careful and even asked someone to help me lift it up and install it. So, it is certainly not as flexible in terms of pliability and handling as white fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%