Baby Figurine

Decorating By IcedTea4Me2 Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm by lindambc

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 3

I'm new to the world of fondant and/or gumpaste, but I may have to try it soon for a baby shower cake I'm making. I am making a sheet cake with a baby figurine lying underneath a blanket. I was just going to use a cake topper type of figure, but I can't find one locally. I am thinking maybe I should give it a shot at making my own. My question is this...if I make a baby covered by a blanket, how detailed do you get underneath the blanket? No one will see it unless they specifically try to move the blanket (which would be possible.) I was planning to do a basketweave blanket out of buttercream on top of saran wrap which is just draped over the baby. I saw another cake on here somewhere like that and it was very cute. I know the blanket could be fondant, too, but I'm just more comfortable right now with using buttercream.

So, how detailed do you get on the parts people really can't see?

Thanks.

Lisa

2 replies
shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 3

I don't worry to much about what is underneath. It would be easier to do a fondant blanket though if you are doing a fondant baby. You could do a buttercream baby just make a head and body with tip 12 and then some arms with tip 3 or 5. I would do the head and body then do the blanket, then have the arms sticking out. Also if your interested there are some great tutorials from aine2, i bought it for like 8 bucks and made my first baby from it. very easy to follow.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 3

When I did a baby shower cake, I wanted two sleeping babies, but can't do fondant figures yet, so, I bought a sleeping baby chocolate mold. I made two chocolate babies and made a pink blanket and a blue blanket out of fondant.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%