Baby Figurine

Decorating By IcedTea4Me2 Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm by lindambc

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 3

I'm new to the world of fondant and/or gumpaste, but I may have to try it soon for a baby shower cake I'm making. I am making a sheet cake with a baby figurine lying underneath a blanket. I was just going to use a cake topper type of figure, but I can't find one locally. I am thinking maybe I should give it a shot at making my own. My question is this...if I make a baby covered by a blanket, how detailed do you get underneath the blanket? No one will see it unless they specifically try to move the blanket (which would be possible.) I was planning to do a basketweave blanket out of buttercream on top of saran wrap which is just draped over the baby. I saw another cake on here somewhere like that and it was very cute. I know the blanket could be fondant, too, but I'm just more comfortable right now with using buttercream.

So, how detailed do you get on the parts people really can't see?

2 replies
shanasweets Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 3

I don't worry to much about what is underneath. It would be easier to do a fondant blanket though if you are doing a fondant baby. You could do a buttercream baby just make a head and body with tip 12 and then some arms with tip 3 or 5. I would do the head and body then do the blanket, then have the arms sticking out. Also if your interested there are some great tutorials from aine2, i bought it for like 8 bucks and made my first baby from it. very easy to follow.

lindambc Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 3

When I did a baby shower cake, I wanted two sleeping babies, but can't do fondant figures yet, so, I bought a sleeping baby chocolate mold. I made two chocolate babies and made a pink blanket and a blue blanket out of fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%