Choco-Pan Or Satin Ice

Decorating By Lelly Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 3:24am by indydebi

Lelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelly Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 7

I have only used Wilton fondant before (yuck!) and just on a trial cake. Some people on this site have recommended Satin Ice and some have said Choco-Pan? Any recomendations about which one is better? I am making a large dress cake for about 100 people. I am ordering from Sugar Art today but I just wanted anyone's opinion on taste.

Also, I decorate my cakes but usually just make a cake without filling (I am petrified to cut a shaped cake in half.) Any recommandations? Everyone on here seems to fill thier cakes, what tools or tricks do you use?

Thank you all for your help. I love how no matter what I post I always get a speedy response. You guys are great!

Danielle

6 replies
tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 7

I usually make MMF, it takes good, is cheap and easy to do... but i hear both Satin Ice and CocoPan are yummy..

suggestion on filling a cake, i freeze mine first. Then its easier to cut in half and fill it. Make sure you create a "damn" around the sides so the filling wont ooze out of the sides of the cake.

good luck!

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 7

I usually make MMF, it takes good, is cheap and easy to do... but i hear both Satin Ice and CocoPan are yummy..

suggestion on filling a cake, i freeze mine first. Then its easier to cut in half and fill it. Make sure you create a "damn" around the sides so the filling wont ooze out of the sides of the cake.

good luck!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 7

I use satin ice, exclusively. I tried choco-pan and I did not care for the taste. It handled well enough but not AS well as the satin ice, in my opinion.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 7

I really like the way Satin Ice handles and tastes but it's too darn expensive. If you can mark up your price enough to cover the extra expense, go for it! I can't use ChocoPan thumbsdown.gif It seems impossible for me not to leave any imprints when I go to pick it up and place it on the cake. It stretches a lot too. Also, the taste is kind of "funky" to me but some people really love the taste. It's also expensive!! Anyhoo.... that's my two cents. Happy caking!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:10am
post #6 of 7

I love using Satin Ice. I have used many brands of fondant and find that it both works up and tastes great. It's worth it, I think!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:24am
post #7 of 7

If you want a fondant-newbie's view ..... I've used both in my limited experience. I like the taste of both ... the choco-pan took me a little bit to get used to, but after awhile, the white-chocolate taste really hooked me. I like how the Satin Ice white rolls out ... very very smooth and easy to handle. I luv how thin I can roll the choco-pan out .... to me, this offsets the slightly higher cost because by rolling it thinner, it goes further. I found it odd that the colored choco-pan wasn't as 'firm' as the white, or wedding white, choco-pan. THe colored versions seemed to tear more easily. That could be just the newbie factor here icon_redface.gif , but I mentioned that to someone else, who had noticed the same thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%