Please Help!!! Croquembouche....

Decorating By lucia Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 2:58pm by PinkZiab

lucia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucia Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 11:11am
post #1 of 4

I have made a versin of the croquembouche with chocolate before and used a cone as my support. i have been asked to do one with the caramel/toffee over the top - no chocolate. Can I still use the cone as my support (I was told that I couldn't but not sure why not) and how do you make the toffee to go over the top.

Thanks in advance

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 4

I have another question regarding croquembouches.

I've seen a couple of pictures where the croquembouche is sitting on a large, edible base that looks like nuts in hard caramel???

Anyone know what this is?

Thanks

Suzanne x

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

I have another question regarding croquembouches.

I've seen a couple of pictures where the croquembouche is sitting on a large, edible base that looks like nuts in hard caramel???

Anyone know what this is?

Thanks

Suzanne x

It's called nougatine and it is the traditional base for a croquembouche. You basically cook sugar to a deep amber caramel, stir in sliced blanched almonds and pour it out onto a silpat (on a piece of wood or other heatproof surface). Place another silpat on top and roll it to the desire thickness. While it's still warm you cut your shapes and them re-warm then use more caramel or royal icing to construct your stand. You have to work fast when cutting the nougatine. If it gets too cool it will crack. You can re-warm it in the oven to make it pliable/cuttable, but you can only do this so many times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%