Straight, Grey Florist Wire

Decorating By kbell69 Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 3:16am by summernoelle

kbell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbell69 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 6

I'm having a hard time finding florist wire, I found some on-line but I'm not sure of the gauge that you use. I'm in Edmonton, Alberta area. If anyone knows the proper gauge or where I can get it that would be great. I want to use it for my daughter's christmas party cake next Sunday!!! Thank- you

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 6

The guage you use depends on what you are using it for. If making a heavier flower, use a thicker guage, but maybe leaves use a thinner guage.

Nicholas Lodge sells lots of colored flower tape. I'd try his website at nicholaslodge.com. If you can't find gray wire, you might find gray tape.....then you can make gray wire!

kbell69 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:13am
post #3 of 6

I tried Michaels again and they actually do have it!! I'm glad I didn't take no for an answer.

kbell69 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:14am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for responding Karateka.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:49am
post #5 of 6

Hi Kbell69,

Just a side note in case you're planning to put fondant on the florist wire...

You may have trouble getting the fondant to stick to the wire. If this happens, try putting a very small amount of shortening on the wire first, then the fondant. I saw this done on Ace of Cakes, and was glad I new what to do when my fondant wouldn't stick to the wire/branch I made for my butterfly cake.

Tammy

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:16am
post #6 of 6

I get mine at Michael's-also, a great trick I learned was heating the wire with the flame of the candle, right before sliding the decoration on. It makes the fondant stick to the wire, and is a great trick!

I use the thicker guage-the thinner one just isn't strong enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%